Current Location
    north east england
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

ACL reconstruction in 14 year old

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi All - hope someone can give me some advice here. My son ruptured his ACl just over 2 years ago and had some surgery to remove what was left of the ligament and then some physio. He has done pretty well and managed to play cricket and badminton with a knee brace. However, he is now 14 and I believe the time has come to have a reconstruction as he wants to do more walking for Duke of Edinburgh and he finds it diffucult walking down hill - it starts to hurt quite quickly. Also from what I have read it would seem to be best not to leave it too long.

The surgeon we are seeing has done many of these but I have no real idea of how good he is although he does all the footballers up here in the north east so I am assuming he is good.

Some questions - who is the best for ACl reconstruction in the UK? What can we expect in terms of sporting activity from this operation; wil my son be able to snowboard again (maybe with a low profile brace). Hope you understand my concern as I would hate to do something that might make things worse. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.