Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

physiotherapy after shoulder dislocation

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    After shoulder dislocation ie anterior traumatic when can i start physiotherapy,also please tell me when i can start car driving. i would like detailed exercise manual for Wikipedia reference-linkrotator cuff strenghtening

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    East Anglia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: physiotherapy after shoulder dislocation

Personnally I have seen patients the day they dislocated. Even getting the right advice for you...according to type of dislocation, xrays etc gives you the best start. TENS can be used for painrelief early on. It is important to keep the shoulder immobilised as advised, as too much movement early on can mean that the joint is more unstable in the long run. There is not a great deal that actually keeps the 'ball in the socket' around the shoulder...thus it is important to let the ligaments get a chance to heal without being constantly stretched.

You can do static movements early on...tensing the muscle...without moving the limb...can use wall or other limb to gently brace against.

Best to see a therapist to get progressive program, according to your needs.

Driving? As advised by your consultant, GP, insurance company.

Hope this helps a bit

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hmm... Self management I dunno in this case,

Part of what physiotherapists do is facilitate correct movement, this may be via positioning the scapula in the correct position, or stretching shortened muscles, and positioning weak ones in an optimum position for activation.

When it comes down to it people use a GP to manage any physical condition and they continue to see the GP until the problem has run its course. I feel the best course of action is personalized physiotherapy, hands on, .

Regards.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    East Anglia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Definitely consult a physio or sports therapist...someone who is used to treating this type of injury. Good intervention and a thorough rehab program, with careful monitoring of specific movts / compensatios that you may adopt are extremely important in getting the best outcome.

I would not recommend trying to manage your own shoulder alone. Even as a physio I would get someone else to monitor my progress / aid me in getting correct positioning etc...

Good luck