Current Location
    Austria
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Safe position for baby in stroller

Cerebral Palsy In Infancy
    Hello, I would really appreciate some advice so if any of you have time perhaps you can answer my question. My baby is nearly 5 months and at 3 1/2 months I converted her Basinette to a stroller which was positioned either 180 or 165 degree angle. A few weeks ago I started putting it to 135 degree angle as this is how she is happier. She likes to see everything. I have since been informed by other mothers (one who is a doctor) that I am doing terrible damage to my babies spine and will now end up a child who resembles Quasimodo. Is this the case? I am obviously very worried nowso would like your imput. Should I go back to the basinette?
    I realise that there are much more serious issues discussed in this forum so I hope I don't annoy anyone with this query but as a mum I can't help being concerned that i am doing something wrong.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    US
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Safe position for baby in stroller

hi,

if your baby is of 1/2 month then it's necessary to support her head...because 1/2 month baby can't handle his/her weight. so the support is needed. and in the traveler system the angle must be in-between 120 to 150 degree and for this purpose i found Chicco Cortina Travel System on google after many searches..

thanks
    zoomroom1

estherderu

Re: Safe position for baby in stroller

dear nic123,

It is not easy to say what is best.
    It so depends on cultural differences and your experience as a parent.

In general we can say that: as long as your child cannot actively bring herself into a sitting position, it is best to keep her in a horizontal position. Let your baby lie on her back and exercise with arms and legs during your walks. Let her lie on her stomach.
    She will become curious and lift herself higher to try and see more (or ... if you lie her down back to front) to look at you.

That or carry her around in a sling.
    In many cultures this, or even just having your child in your arms is considered normal practice and fun to do.

If you would like to know more about normal development I suggest you have a look around the website called SfA Resources for Parents, Teachers and Therapists | skillsforaction.com
    On this website you will find so much information about really good games to play with your child in both prone and supine position.

http://skillsforaction.com/files/Get...veinsupine.pdf
    http://skillsforaction.com/files/PRONETummytime.pdf

As far as I am informed there is no proof that your child's back will be harmed by putting him/her into a more seated position for a short period of time if you make sure there is enough support. (see info in the pdf's)

I do tend to give the advice to keep the child in a horizontal position until they are able to challenge gravity themselves.

Your child has her whole lifetime to sit, just be patient and give her time to activate her own muscles and develop her own strength.

I wish you good luck and lots of pleasure with your daughter.

kind regards

Esther