Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

12 months treatment by sports doctor for biceps (hamstring) insertion/popliteal/knee pain with no improvement- please help

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Good morning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am an otherwise fit/healthy 25 year old female and have been sidelined with a leg injury for over a year.

Pain is primarily felt below my right knee on the outside of the top calf, where the biceps tendon inserts. The pain is worse after 20 minutes of running and then following exercise. It becomes progressively worse after a number of runs, to the point that I am unable to exercise at all (e.g. it is now painful to walk after running for 40 minutes three times over the past fortnight).

I experience sharp pain after sitting with the leg extended for a period, or standing with the leg extended, and when attempting a leg press (even with only light weight). It is also painful to sit cross-legged. I have a constant dull pain in the region that prevents me from sleeping.

An osteo initially thought it was a Wikipedia reference-linkmeniscus tear, but this was ruled out by an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI scan. The doctor I was referred to thought I had a ganglion cyst in the area, and tried injecting it with cortisone (once under ultrasound), however, there was no improvement. The doctor then thought it was referred pain from my right lower back, and went through a course of acupuncture and massage. However, although I had an improvement in the right SI joint pain, there was no improvement in the 'knee/upper calf' pain.

I was then referred to an orthopaedic surgeon, who suspects distal biceps tendon insertional tendinopathy, possibly a small tear, or Fabella syndrome. However, he did not advise how to go about treating this, or where I should go next.

I am an ex-elite basketballer, but am now at the point where I just want to be able to run and play social sport without pain. I would greatly appreciate any advice in avenues to pursue.

With thanks,
    Kate

Similar Threads:

dr.rana Array
    Country
    Flag of Pakistan
    Current Location
    Pakistan
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 12 months treatment by sports doctor for biceps (hamstring) insertion/popliteal/knee pain with no improvement- please help

hi kate.i am dr.rana alternative medicine in chaines medicine .according to my advice first of all tell me the climate of the city
    your diet means those things you eat most.which season your pain became worst.check your diet which reduce your pain now you check.
    thanks
    rana

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    NZ
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 12 months treatment by sports doctor for biceps (hamstring) insertion/popliteal/knee pain with no improvement- please help

Hi Kate,

Have you seen a good physio? someone who has assessed your ankle biomechanics etc? If you've had an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI then it should show the sesamoid bone seen in fabella syndrome, it also should indicate some form of fluid that you'd expect with a tendinopathy... Maybe there was a small tear higher up and not in the MRI scan but expect some bruising possibly... I'd make sure you get your ankles checked to be sure that your biomechanics are all good and the problem isn't coming from there.

Good luck.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    You can go for Ultrasound physiotherapy, It will give you proper pain relief. This therapy helps to reduce pain. While healing your body’s deep tissue, stress and muscle tightness and backpain can connect back to the root cause of your pain. Ultrasound therapy effects help to soften tissue cell metabolism. It helps to increase blood flow, it makes the cells more receptive to healing fluids. Ultrasound US111 is the modern device which help to release ‘Endorphins’ which is natural healing chemical released by body to heal pain. US111 therapy uses the natural approach without any side effects. For better results and improvement and it is easy to carry anywhere anytime. US111 will give you best results at home you should try out and check the best features of US111 :-https://ultracarepro.in/product/us-1...le-ultrasound/