Dublin
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Re: Leg pain (hamstring, calve) and often lower back pain

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Apologies for [originally] posting to an old thread but its the first time I've read about someone with the almost the exact same complaint as myself [see http://www.physiobob.com/forum/patie...tml#post48057] .

Over the past ten years I've tweak something in my lower back and would be in mild pain for a week. Sometimes I would get my chiropractor to adjust my back and that usually sorted it in a few days. Over these years, this has happened more frequently but never more than 3 times a year.

A few months ago I started feeling my left hamstring being really tight. I play football once a week and cycle 20 miles 3 times a week. Then particularly during football I would feel pain in the upper left leg while trying to run. Kind of feels like a string was bouncing between by button and knee and as it bounced it hurt. Only towards the end of the game would the pain subside a bit. After cycling it wasn't too bad till about 6 weeks ago. Then for a week or so the hamstring felt very tight. I decided to stop all activity for a week or two to see if it resolved itself. Well, nothing changed in two weeks so I want to the physio. She said it wasn't my hamstring, but my back which was pinching a nerve (which I agree with). I have 4 exercises to do twice daily which are mainly about trying to arch my lower back forward and push my bum forward too as I tend to arch my lower back due to my posture. I also went to chiropractor about two weeks ago but didn't do much. Now after a few physio visits and 6 weeks of rest it has improved things slightly but I know my leg would hurt if I ran. Driving seems to aggitate it too as my left buttock would be quite sore after a few minutes.

Its very frustrating with the summer coming with not being about to do my cycle or football. And the recovery is soooo slow. Should I try another physio to get a 2nd opinion? Or as I'm recovering albeit slowly and therefore on the right track, do I just need patience?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by alophysio; 13-04-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Started New Post - edits are in []

The Physio Detective Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Penshurst, Sydney, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bazwaldo - i have moved your post to a new post and referenced the post you originally posted on...

the answer to your questions is..."yes"
    + talk to your physio about the recovery and ask/tell them you are thinking of a second opinion because recovery is slow. Also ask if there are other options, scans etc that can be done. It sounds like your physio has decided to use a Mackenzie approach to your problem but it isn't the only way.
    + you are recovering so the answer may still be that you need to wait a little longer.

Other problems include the way you might be standing and sitting (posture), your pain might be because of a disc but there might be something making your disc sore (like a Wikipedia reference-linkSIJ not accepting load properly and so stressing your disc) etc etc.

How are you finding the exercises? Do you feel better for doing them? 6-8 weeks is a normal recovery time for most back pains to get better on their own...

Cheers

[B]Antony Lo
    The Physio Detective
    APA Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
    Teaching Fellow at the University of Western Australia[/B]
    Masters in Manual Therapy (UWA)
    B.App.Sc.(USyd)

[B]Facebook:[/B] [url]www.facebook.com/penshurstphysio[/url]
    [B]LinkedIn:[/B] [url]http://au.linkedin.com/in/antonylo[/url]
    [B]Twitter:[/B] @physiodetective
    [B]Blog: [/B][url]www.physiobob.com/forum/blogs/alophysio/[/url]
    [B]Website:[/B] [url]www.myphysios.com.au[/url]
    The goal of physiotherapy is to restore optimum function - that is to move freely and maintain positions without causing damage either now or in the future. This requires the assessment and restoration of efficient load transfer throughout the whole body.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    Dublin
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a physio session last night and she did some massage and traction. I do feel the good of the session it must be said and at least some recovery is happening. She reckons it will take 3-6 months to heal fully which I would have been shocked at when I first went to her but it looks accurate enough now.

I asked more about the what the problem was and she explained that after years of bad posture while sitting, standing and running (I tend to lean back or be upright) has squeezed two discs too close on the outside edge and pinched a nerve. Then ignoring it for two months made the injury worse and more prolonged. Now despite fixing my back the nerce remains sensitive and thats what takes time and why I need to do the exercises.

A new exercise I have to do is while lying on my back, raise left knee to 90 degrees and straight below the knee a few times for 30 seconds with straining too much. Also support the knee with my hands or a towel wrapped around the underneath and holding.

I asked about cycling and with some caution I can but only if recover continues. Also she suggested swimming regularly.

After been given a recovery range helps me think that I can at least recover. I'm not used to being injured for more than a week or so and find it very frustrating. I need to be more vigilant about my posture while standing and sitting. I'm sure thats a major reason for the cause of this. Also I highered my car seat a few inches and it has helped greatly too.

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today.

The Physio Detective Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Penshurst, Sydney, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Very good. Thanks for the update.

A few questions...

1. You said you have an exercise where you lie on your tummy and then you arch backwards? Or standing, you might put your hands on your hips and push the hips forwards? Have i got that right?
    2. Is your years of posture considered "slouching" like a rounded back?
    3. how are you being more vigilant about your posture? What are you doing?

I am glad you are felling optimistic. If you feel like the traction is helping, you can try an inversion table - we get them here pretty cheap these days - one place is selling them for only $98.00 which is ridiculously cheap. Check with your doctor if you can go upside down though...this is not specific advice!!!

thanks

[B]Antony Lo
    The Physio Detective
    APA Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist
    Teaching Fellow at the University of Western Australia[/B]
    Masters in Manual Therapy (UWA)
    B.App.Sc.(USyd)

[B]Facebook:[/B] [url]www.facebook.com/penshurstphysio[/url]
    [B]LinkedIn:[/B] [url]http://au.linkedin.com/in/antonylo[/url]
    [B]Twitter:[/B] @physiodetective
    [B]Blog: [/B][url]www.physiobob.com/forum/blogs/alophysio/[/url]
    [B]Website:[/B] [url]www.myphysios.com.au[/url]
    The goal of physiotherapy is to restore optimum function - that is to move freely and maintain positions without causing damage either now or in the future. This requires the assessment and restoration of efficient load transfer throughout the whole body.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    Dublin
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Quote Originally Posted by alophysio View Post
    1. You said you have an exercise where you lie on your tummy and then you arch backwards? Or standing, you might put your hands on your hips and push the hips forwards? Have i got that right?
    My exercises are
    1. While on my back, bend knees and keep feet on floor and raise bum towards head to arch bottom half of back
    2. On all fours, do a kind of snake like roll of spine from bum to shoulders. Like a Mexican wave. Start with bum by raising up and roll upwards movement up the spine and then do same but moving things down.
    3. On side, right side on floor, in spooning shape, lift arm and move it towards back while looking at it but without moving torso. Then when arm is straight up, twist upper half of body to the left.
    4. On my back, lift knees up to chest and hold with arms.
    5. As mentioned "A new exercise I have to do is while lying on my back, raise left knee to 90 degrees and straight below the knee a few times for 30 seconds with straining too much. Also support the knee with my hands or a towel wrapped around the underneath and holding."

2. Is your years of posture considered "slouching" like a rounded back?
    Not exactly. Only at the base of back and rounded concave rather than convex.

3. how are you being more vigilant about your posture? What are you doing?
    Pulling my bum in/pelvis forward while standing and sitting and when I do run eventually, run with body leant forwards. No crossing legs while sitting. Sit without slouching or having feet up.

I am glad you are felling optimistic. If you feel like the traction is helping, you can try an inversion table - we get them here pretty cheap these days - one place is selling them for only $98.00 which is ridiculously cheap. Check with your doctor if you can go upside down though...this is not specific advice!!!
    I'll keep it in mind and will see what they actually are ;-)