I'm a 56 yo woman, cyclist and walker. Last October I took a long (90-minute, hilly) walk and returned home with a lot of pain in the hip and pelvic region. The worst pain was (and still is) at the base of my right buttock where the hamstring attaches. ROM tests point to shortening of hip flexors and a strain of the rectus femoris where it attaches at the front of the hip. Bi-lateral MRI of both hips reveal the following:
Left hip: Micro-tears or partial tear at hamstring attachment
Right hip: Some tearing away of the tendon from the bone.

I'm most concerned about the finding on the right side. That's where I experience the most pain, and the injury is VERY sensitive to just moderate walking from point A to point B (around the house or yard). I am getting heat/ultrasound/massage treatments and at home I ice it about every hour. I try keep walking to a minimum except to remain mobile and perform necessary activities of daily living.

I'm told that recovery will be 3-6 months, and I understand that I'll need to work back gradually to my activities. I'm wondering if I will ever be at the level I was when this injury occurred.

QUESTION: What does "tearing away of the tendon from bone" imply, and how is that different than a torn or strained hamstring? A friend wonders if there is an inherent weakness at the attachment point on the bone.