Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Fareham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 33, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 10yrs, Symptom Behaviour: Same, Aggravating Factors:: Running is worst but also general exercise niggles, Easing Factors:: Rest, Investigations: Knee MRI showed nothing suggested issue from elsewhere, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: No

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Right

Knee - Anterior - Right

Knee Pain, potential glute or back issue ??

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I've been getting pain just under and outside my right knee following running for some time. I've seen physios who had various theories and eventually had an mri which showed nothing. It was suggested at this point it may be biomechanical.

I have now realised when I lie on my front and use my glute to lift a straight leg behind me there is significant difference between the two legs and it brings on the same pain.

With my leg unaffected leg I can lift the leg quote high without discomfort and feel very stable.

With my right leg I can lift it approx half as high, I feel like I am going to twist and my lower left back tightens kind of cramps. As mentioned this also strains my knee where I gethe pain.

Can anyone suggest what this indicates? Weak glute? Tight back? Lack of hip flexibility? Are there any other tests I can do to check any suspected issues?

Any help much appreciated

***(I have now attached an image showing what I am trying to describe, not me, generic internet photo)***

Similar Threads:
    Knee Pain, potential glute or back issue ?? Attached Images

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Fareham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Knee Pain, potential glute or back issue ??

Have I really had 200 views and no replies ?? Does anyone have any thoughts or input ??

I'm a keen triathlete and this is really affecting my training at the moment.

I have started a program designed for glute activation and strengthening to see if that helps, does this seem appropriate ?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Nirish,

It certainly sounds feasible that Gluteal weakness/dysfunction could be to blame for your injury. I would recommend having your running gait analysed to see whether there is any running technique changes that may help? Also, you may want to have a look at whether your footwear is suitable, and correct for you.

What sort of exercises have been included in your program?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Fareham
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I've just taken from a couple off the internet really for strengthening glutes and hip abductors in general.

Side leg lifts
    Clams
    Squats and Single Leg Squats
    Hip Raises, Single Leg Hip Raises
    Glute Kick
    Lunge

I'm also using tennis ball work my TFL as I suspect it could be tight, I also feel sensation in a similar area to my knee issue when I roll the hip in this area.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi Nirish,

That's a good start. May also be worth trying some resisted walking - If you can get hold of a resistance band, put it around the balls of your feet and sidestep against the resistance of the elastic - really good way of firing up the Gluteals.

As mentioned before, try the exercises first and then consider getting your running gait analysed for any abnormalities that may affect the issue. Good luck

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Nirish,

That's a good start. May also be worth trying some resisted walking - If you can get hold of a resistance band, put it around the balls of your feet and sidestep against the resistance of the elastic - really good way of firing up the Gluteals.

As mentioned before, try the exercises first and then consider getting your running gait analysed for any abnormalities that may affect the issue. Good luck