Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 52, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 6.5 weeks, Symptom Behaviour: Slowly improving, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Early or late, when I exercise, Aggravating Factors:: Running, Easing Factors:: Rest, Investigations: X Ray, looking for boine aversion where tendon attached. Bone OK, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Thigh, Hamstrings - Posterior - Left

Angry Grade 2 Hamstring Tear Recovering Slowly But Can't Run

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I was diagnosed with a Grade 2 hamstring tear 6 1/2 weeks ago after crashing off water skis.

Xrays showed no bone pulled away (aversion ??). Had crutches for two days, then hobbled around for a week before I could walk OK but a bit stiffly again. A large bruise arrived after about 3 days in the upper part of my leg but below the crease where leg joins butt.

I have been working with physio and now doing more strength exercises. The pain now is in the area where the bruise seemed to be located and gets worse when I do my exercises or after walking or standing a lot.

I guess I am on the road to recovery BUT my concern is that when I try to run (light short jog) as suggested by my physio I start off OK but within 50m my leg gets very heavy and tired to the point where a 100 run is a major struggle. The pain tends to be in the front of my shin from the knee down and a heavy/tired upper leg.

I can walk for an hour and not have a problem but if I try to walk briskly up a small rise the same thing happens after a while.

Is this normal on the recovery journey ? How long before I can run like I used to ? I am not an elite athlete but I was happy to run 10km with hills before the injury.

Similar Threads:

tonywoodall Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Grade 2 Hamstring Tear Recovering Slowly But Can't Run

When you fall off during Water Skiing you have the potential to have major trauma. In your case the symptoms suggest a Hamstring injury but there is more to it.

The good news is no avulsion of the muscle from the bone.

The bruise tells that the muscle was torn. Muscles have very high blood supply. The bleed has the potential to track down the leg due to gravity, possibly causing the heavy / tired leg and shin symptoms. If this is the cause these symptom will go quite quickly. However by continuing with exercises and trying to run you may be causing more bleeding and so it continues.

You may find compression bandages from the calf up will help to disperse the bruise (blood). Elevation of the leg whenever possible plus gentle movement of the calf and hamstrings will also help dispersal of the blood.

You will then have to find someone who will treat the traumatised muscle(s) - the cause of the ongoing problems. My treatment approach would be palpation to precisely locate the site of the trauma and then TENS, Laser, Ultrasound and Ice packs at home.
    Be careful with strong massage. Keep it simple - pain is damaged soft tissue being made worse.
    Good luck,

Tony Woodall. Physiotherapist - Retired.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Grade 2 Hamstring Tear Recovering Slowly But Can't Run

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for your advice. The picture shows the bruising about 5 days after the injury but it has been 6.5 weeks now and the bruising is all gone and it did work its way down my leg and faded as it got past the knee as you say.

The hamstring muscle area is still a bit flabby/swollen a bit (compared to my normal leg) but the bruise went a few weeks ago.

The heavy leg has been with me a few weeks but maybe I am just being impatient and need more time and do the strength exercises I have been given before running, even light jogging.

At the time of injury as well as hamstring area pain there was pain in my upper shin, maybe its where the hamstring joins and when it was overstretched everything stretched out of place a bit.

Grade 2 Hamstring Tear Recovering Slowly But Can't Run Attached Images