Flag of England
    Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 35, Male, Presenting Problem Since: A long time, Symptom Behaviour: Constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): No difference, Aggravating Factors:: Weight-training, Easing Factors:: Stretching, possibly swimming, No Investigations, No Diabetes, High Blood Pressure: only slightly, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, Bowel & Bladder: I may have IBS, Other Info: No

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Head, Neck - Posterior

Thoracic Spine

Foot - Posterior - Left

Foot - Posterior - Right

Clicking neck, clicking heels, inner-right shoulder blade painful knot

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

I'm not sure how much of this is related, but I have a few conditions that are very annoying and sometimes painful. The first more annoying (not usually painful) problem is that both of my heels click when walking and playing sport. This began to occur around turning 30 (i'm 35 now) and was only noticeable when walking up the staircases at work - I work on the second-floor of an old building so that would be 6 sets of stairs. Over the last couple of years it can now be heard when walking normally or when playing sport (I play football and tennis - where instructors have commented that they can hear it. and sometimes swim, cycle, play golf and weight-train). It doesn't happen every step but can every few steps and is sometimes more constant than others. I know I am flat footed and have been guilty of wearing flat shoes as there seems to be more of these on the market than anything else. I did try buying some more raised innersoles, which I'm sure have improved things although they tend to hurt the outside of my feet because they begin to rub on the shoes due to the extra height. I do not have any pain (I have had but only once or twice and more likely due to an impact injury that is short-lived).

Another issue is my neck. I have a hyper-mobile neck, which often feels tight but can be relieved by tilting my neck to either side where it clicks 3-5 times. Again with this there is no pain but it does sound horrific to others. I've had osteopathy before and physio at times when my neck is sore (not often at all) and know that there is not much movement in some of my vertebrae around my upper spine close to or just above my shoulder-blades. I know I don't have the best posture and often slouch forward although I try to improve this when I remember. I also work at computers for most of my time at work so can be in the same position for hours. I do adjust the back, keep eye-level at the top of the monitor and sometimes use a foot rest.

The last issue which is the worst as it is painful, is that when I do weights at the gym I quite often get a very stiff sore point in under my right shoulderblade. When this has been worked on my a student osteopathist (I work at a uni so sometimes go to some supervised free sessions), when they massage it it feels like something sharp is digging into me, almost like shards of glass. At the gym I am usually doing chest work on a bench with dumbells that are not very heavy - I recently went back after a long break and using 12.5kg on each side caused the extreme discomfort.

I'm not sure if all of these issues are related or likely to be, but would be very appreciative of any advice. I've recently considered buying a posture support incase this is the/a fundamental issue, however am not sure whether this is the best option? I am also wondering whether osteopathy is the best idea or whether I should be going to see a chiropractor?

Any help/advice would be great.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Karratha, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Clicking neck, clicking heels, inner-right shoulder blade painful knot

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    heels i am not quite sure what you mean clicks, you might mean your ankles.
    neck- do you consider relax more, less worried about correcting your posture? don't let the therapist flaw you, lots of clicks or tightness, are due to the lack of relaxation, during movement, joints start making noises. Sit relaxed, and move frequent, let go your muscle especially core muscles, your posture will be lot more efficient.
    Mid back sharp pain: very often seen in my practice, the spot where you feel the pain is fixed in one option of position, get sensitised, try to relax the trunk, deep breathe into diaphragm, get the body move out of the position segmentally (each pairs of ribs), and stretch into different positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Click_Neck View Post
    Hi all,

I'm not sure how much of this is related, but I have a few conditions that are very annoying and sometimes painful. The first more annoying (not usually painful) problem is that both of my heels click when walking and playing sport. This began to occur around turning 30 (i'm 35 now) and was only noticeable when walking up the staircases at work - I work on the second-floor of an old building so that would be 6 sets of stairs. Over the last couple of years it can now be heard when walking normally or when playing sport (I play football and tennis - where instructors have commented that they can hear it. and sometimes swim, cycle, play golf and weight-train). It doesn't happen every step but can every few steps and is sometimes more constant than others. I know I am flat footed and have been guilty of wearing flat shoes as there seems to be more of these on the market than anything else. I did try buying some more raised innersoles, which I'm sure have improved things although they tend to hurt the outside of my feet because they begin to rub on the shoes due to the extra height. I do not have any pain (I have had but only once or twice and more likely due to an impact injury that is short-lived).

Another issue is my neck. I have a hyper-mobile neck, which often feels tight but can be relieved by tilting my neck to either side where it clicks 3-5 times. Again with this there is no pain but it does sound horrific to others. I've had osteopathy before and physio at times when my neck is sore (not often at all) and know that there is not much movement in some of my vertebrae around my upper spine close to or just above my shoulder-blades. I know I don't have the best posture and often slouch forward although I try to improve this when I remember. I also work at computers for most of my time at work so can be in the same position for hours. I do adjust the back, keep eye-level at the top of the monitor and sometimes use a foot rest.

The last issue which is the worst as it is painful, is that when I do weights at the gym I quite often get a very stiff sore point in under my right shoulderblade. When this has been worked on my a student osteopathist (I work at a uni so sometimes go to some supervised free sessions), when they massage it it feels like something sharp is digging into me, almost like shards of glass. At the gym I am usually doing chest work on a bench with dumbells that are not very heavy - I recently went back after a long break and using 12.5kg on each side caused the extreme discomfort.

I'm not sure if all of these issues are related or likely to be, but would be very appreciative of any advice. I've recently considered buying a posture support incase this is the/a fundamental issue, however am not sure whether this is the best option? I am also wondering whether osteopathy is the best idea or whether I should be going to see a chiropractor?

Any help/advice would be great.