Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 60, Male, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): exist in both night and day, Aggravating Factors:: sitting too long, running,, Easing Factors:: not sitting too long, or not sleeping too long in anyone position,, Investigations: in text, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, Medications: meloxicam 7.5mg bd, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Left

Hip, Groin, Pelvis - Anterior - Left

Left Hip - Gluteal tendon tears, medialus & minimus, bursitis. Trail running competitor needs recovery ideas.

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi

I have some Left Hip issues that have been bugging me for several weeks. I asked for a MRI recently and this is what was on the report dated the 18 Dec 2018:

"Partial tera involving anterior fibres of the gulteustendon, measuring approximatly 10mm longitudinally and 9mm transversley. Intrasubstance tear of the gluteus minimus tendon, measuring up to 13mm in lenght. Thickening and mild fluid distension of the trochanteric bursa, in keeping with associated bursitis.

Small left hip joint effusion. No full thickness cartilage defect identified. Subjective mild cartilage thinning at the superolateral acetabulum and femoral head. No marrow oedema at the femoral head or acetabulum. Minor chondrolabral separation at the anterior acetabular.
    "

In my trainin log, the issues started around the 2nd of November. I did a long run in the snowy mountains, snow still covered much of the trail so I did some glissading (standing up sliding on the steep snow slopes), I fell hard on my left butt several times. Then continued to run back to base, not realising I may have injured the Glutes. A few weeks latter I ran a 50km trail ultra and found for the first time in an event I had hip and gulte issues, ouch ! As it was not improving greatly I asked for an MRI as I have some big events scheduled from March to May 2019, and need to know, not guess what the issues were.

My doctor I work with & who wrote the referral, is now away until mid Feburary. A physio & friend have been giving some general advice on the injury.

I am keen to listen to any ideas out there on how to best recover and get back into competitions with these injuries ?

I stopped running on the 16th Dec (after a half marathon trail event in Canberra) & since then for 2 weeks have walked, exercise bike, one road bike workout (today). I have been doing a routine of floor streteches and strength exercises with glute activation clams and bridges. Taking mefloxicam for just under one week.

One big question I have, is how long would a good recovery be for a 60 year old with this sort of injury ?

Thanks in anticipation