Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 36, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 6 years, painless, Symptom Behaviour: Same, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Same?, Aggravating Factors:: Unknown, Easing Factors:: Massaging, but it returns, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: N/A

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Shin - Anterior - Right

Trigger point/knot in shin

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi all,

I've had a knot/trigger point just inside my right shin bone, about a third the way down, for years now, and it's never been a problem for 10k runs and sprints at very basic amateur level.

A physio showed me how to massage it away ages ago but as it's always come back and it didn't seem to be limiting my running/fitness I stopped bothering to be honest.

I'm now trying to increase distance to marathon/maybe ultra distances, is this the kind of thing that could become a real problem if I don't deal with it?

I think I'm feeling the increase in distance (15miles so far) a little more in my right achilles/lower calf than in the left leg, so wondered if the knot could be the reason/linked.

Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Official Forum Adviser
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Trigger point/knot in shin

Hi Distancenewbie and thanks for posting and asking for some advice. I suppose we need to consider if the 'knot' is overlying the actual shinbone (tibia) or at least is emanating from the junction of the muscles in that area and the tibia. If so it could have been some calcification due to excessive pulling on the attachment to the bone. Mechanically the deeper calf muscle (the soleus) is the one most active during the impact phase of running. It is assisting to control/slow down the ankle movement when you land on the foot. If that movement is a little too fast or loaded such as with over pronation then the muscles on the front of the shin will also have to work overtime to slow down the inward roll across the arch. Problems with over-pronation or excessive supination can lead to injuries like shin splints, tenoperiostitis, tenosynovitis etc however as a runner you just need to look at the mechanics that are causing it.

If your skeletal structure is such that you do over pronate or excessively supinate then you can consider which footwear could be beneficial vs. which could exacerbate things. I suppose keeping it practical if you can go to a good runners shoe shop that takes a video of you running then you can discuss what they see and which running shows might be better to address that. Prevention is the name of the game as when things are painful they have usually been a long time in the making. They are never just what you did the day before, they are cumulative, overuse issues (sometimes related to poor diet as well due to poor recovery and repair).

If you can think about the cross training benefits of fell running, or cross-country training to wake up the whole lower limb musculature. Take a graded approach and monitor the symptoms in relation to training location, duration, rest. This will give you great insight into what's going well and what needs adjusting. Also some other leg activities like spin training or swimming would be useful in pumping blood around the legs as well as for your overall fitness as well as working the lower limbs in a different way.

I hope this gives you some new ideas on how to plan for progression. And as I like to say 'In the first six weeks your are training to train'. You don't being training on day one, your body is never ready for it.

Let us know how you get on.

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Kanata, Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Trigger point/knot in shin

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi First, let us know How Long Does it Take for Dry Needling to Work?

Improved movement is always felt right away, and discomfort is reduced within 24 hours. A permanent beneficial result is usually achieved after a few therapy sessions (once a week for 2-3 weeks)

Kanata Orthopaedic Physiotherapy Clinic has been serving Kanata, Stittsville, West Ottawa, Nepean and surrounding areas for over 15 years. To book an appointment with a Physiotherapist who provides TDN and/or Acupuncture, or for any questions about fees, please contact us.
    How-Long-Does-it-Take-for-Dry-Needling-to-Work-1024x536.jpg

https://kanataphysiotherapy.com/