Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Lang
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 51, Female, Presenting Problem Since: A few days, Symptom Behaviour: Remaining constant, Aggravating Factors:: Pressure. Maybe sweat, Easing Factors:: Time., No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, Medications: Lexapro, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Problem with Right Foot (Mechanics Changing)

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi there!

Thanks for the help with my last post; I知 hoping you can help me again

I致e had flat feet for years, and have used the same (custom) inserts for a number of years as well. My right foot is flatter than the left, so the insert is also larger

Recently, I started doing physio exercises to try and see if I could correct things, ie, calf and foot stretches, and towel exercises.

I also noticed, a bit over a week ago (I noticed when lying on my back with my knees raised that my right knee was higher than the left and that my abs and upper back were tilted to the left), that I had a lateral right pelvic tilt and have been doing daily quadratus loborum stretches). The tilt seems to be less so now, which is great!

However, I now have a couple of lumps (raised areas) right at the bottom of the arch of my right foot, and another on the side of the foot in line the previous ones, which starts to itch when I put pressure on them. I can only think that the changed mechanics on that side have something to do with it. They look paler than the surrounding skin

I知 nervous about not using the inserts altogether, as the reason I used them in the first place was due to knee problems. I知 honestly not sure what to do about this.

Similar Threads:

Forum Founder Array
    Official Forum Adviser
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Problem with Right Foot (Mechanics Changing)

Hi rainbowdragon008, foot mechanics are rarely the result of the foot itself. The way you land and move through the arches of the feet depends a lot on how the spine, hip, knee and ankle move.. and how they might differ from side to side. If one foot is 'flatter' than the other it is most likely that this just shows that the rolling through the flatter foot is really a collapsing of the arch. If that beings to cause local foot issues then the arch supports can help reduce excessive rolling etc. To work on a longer term outcome you need to look higher up the chain and have your therapist assess your gait (the way you walk) to provide some specific insights. Whilst it is possible to alter your movement mechanics in a small way you are unlikely to make longterm sustained/maintenance free changes. It is more a case that being made aware of how it all works and why inserts may be of use that is useful. It is also normal that as you get older you will need modification of your inserts to best match the small variations in an ever-changing gait pattern.

My advice is not to look at these things in too much detail. We are all asymmetrical, we all have subtle compensations in the ways we move. Some understanding/insight into cause and effect and how an assistive device such as an orthotic or even just a change of footwear are very useful tools.

regards
    PB

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Lang
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Problem with Right Foot (Mechanics Changing)

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Thank you.

I値l just continue working, then and consulting with my physio, and possibly a podiatrist further along the line