Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 25, Presenting Problem Since: 14 months, Symptom Behaviour: slightly better, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Worse in morning (when waking up) & night (when going to bed), Aggravating Factors:: Sport / Walking, Easing Factors:: Icing / K tape, Investigations: MRI shows nothing bad, MR Arthorgram shows nothing bad, Medications: Glucosamine, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Posterior - Left

Knee - Anterior - Left

Question Chronic Knee Pain & Swelling

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hello World,

I am writing this because since last year, I have been dealing with knee pain & inflammation.

Last year I had a minor accident on my kneecap and since, I have been suffering from intra articular swelling and hotness on my left knee

3 weeks after the accident, pain & swelling were still there. Then i have done a MRI (which show nothing - All right)and re started PT.

Despite PT, the pain was still there and a sport doctor give me 2*PRP shots. Swelling and pain were still there, then I have done a MR Arthrogram (which show nothing - All right)

Since the arthrogram The pain & swelling are still there. The knee is hot in the morning. Also, heat & pressure trigger knee numbness (during shower, blanket, hot weather)

Therefore, I was wondering if someone could help me about my Injury ?

Cordially
    GYAN

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Chronic Knee Pain & Swelling

Hey Gyan,

I would recommend you to continue with Icing for pain/ swelling symptomatic relief (2-3/day) or more as and when needed.
    As the MRI and Arthrogram are clear, keep continuing with your PT rehab exercises focusing on isometric + eccentric quads and VMO training.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by browny27 View Post
    Hey Gyan,

I would recommend you to continue with Icing for pain/ swelling symptomatic relief (2-3/day) or more as and when needed.
    As the MRI and Arthrogram are clear, keep continuing with your PT rehab exercises focusing on isometric + eccentric quads and VMO training.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your recommandation but that's basically what i'm doing since last year.
    The pain / swelling are still there. I don't know what I can do for my knee.

I'm young and I can't walk more than 10 minutes. Next stop for me is the grave (If i can walk to it).

Forum Founder Array
    Official Forum Adviser
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi there and thanks for your post on the Forum. It's interesting that you mention the shower and heat causes numbness. This might be a cause of the area being hypersensitive following the initial injury. It could also suggest that you might have a referred sensitivity that could be neural origin, e.g that when you had the incident you tweaked the back or even the proximal Tib/fib joint at the side of the knee. Unless the swelling is significant I would not focus on that too much if as you suggest your current scans are not picking up anything. Of course there are other investigations but they could be another option later if required (e.g. a bone scan).

So as a first step I would get the physio to take another look to see if the surface is hypersensitive (a superficial nerve trauma might take 18 months to heal). Also check the lumbar spine and tib/fib joint for any referral. Ideally we want to see if some mobilisation can reduce the walking discomfort during the same PT session. Although I am not a keen recommending pull-on type knee braces, it can sometimes be useful to use an elasticated type pull on sleeve to give some general compression and proprioception to the joint, and as they are inexpensive it might be worth giving one a try too.

Let us know how you get on and we can provide some more input.

Also if you have a copy of the MRI and Arthrogram reports do share them with us.

regards

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter