Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Femur injury and muscle rcovery

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    I am a 47 year old male. I am no athlete but am very active. I shattered the top of my femur last month with surgery Feb 19th resulting in a 16 inch nail inserted through my femur with a smaller pin through the top of my femur to hold the shattered pieces together.

I am very surprised at the loss of weight and muscle mass in my lower extremities from this injury. I have always been thin but I'm concerned that I won't get this muscle back. I see my ortho surgeon for a post-op visit on March 10 and hope to start physio right away.

what should my expectations be and what advice do you have for me?

thanks

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Femur injury and muscle rcovery

Quote Originally Posted by rvermeul View Post
    I am a 47 year old male. I am no athlete but am very active. I shattered the top of my femur last month with surgery Feb 19th resulting in a 16 inch nail inserted through my femur with a smaller pin through the top of my femur to hold the shattered pieces together.
    THe surgery shattered the femur? I'm sure i misunderstood this
    I am very surprised at the loss of weight and muscle mass in my lower extremities from this injury. I have always been thin but I'm concerned that I won't get this muscle back. I see my ortho surgeon for a post-op visit on March 10 and hope to start physio right away.
    Muscle atrophy post surgery is the reason why recovery is so poor for so many patients. Unfortunately I bet you weren't eating very well, and your poor nutrition will naturally aid the atrophy significantly
    what should my expectations be and what advice do you have for me?
    The sooner you get working with a physiotherapist the better. The few things the body does all the time is Think, Move, Eat, Feel, Experience. Even our thoughts can influence the healing process. Physiotherapy is all about movement, but the best physiotherapy is the one which recognizes all your problems, understands your goals, and uses a progressive intense rehabilitation program to get you back to normal. I would aim to get to 110% and then consider yourself as ready for whatever you wish to do.
    thanks
    Regards, and best wishes

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thanks for your response. The surgery was to repair the shattered femur.

In regards to my diet, that is what is surprising to me. Our family eat very healthy and well balanced meals. My doctor told me the fact that I am fit should aid my recovery but again, that type of muscle loss that quick, I didn't expect. I hope to start physio at the U of Calgary next week and will look to being better than I was prior.

thanks again

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    EU
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

That is what I suspected, however, how many days post surgery are you know?

What I meant about atrophy is the time post-surgery, although how and what you ate before surgery would no doubt be helpful, it is just a few days of immobility, limited movement due to surgery and resultant atrophy that can be significant.

If you previously trained, the it is likely that you will regain to prior level of activity more quickly. The key is really get going asap.

I don't doubt that you can get back to 100%, but I think it is everything you do - including diet (high in protein to alleviate muscle loss), physiotherapy, relaxation and rest to optimize all aspects of your recovery.

Regards

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Calgary
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    I am 18 days post-op. I see now and you're right, I basically did not eat for 7 days after. I had complications in my stomach and bowels after surgery and was not allowed anything due to a stomach tube for 2 days plus no appetite for the remainder. That makes sense.

thanks so much for taking the time to give me the advice and the insight. I plan to be busy once I get my physio note on Monday. I see lots of walking and biking as before.

cheers

Last edited by rvermeul; 08-03-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: missed one point