london
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

knee problems

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi, I am a 20 year old active female. recently I've been having serious pain on the outside of my right knee! I dance a lot, ballet, tap etc. and get lower back pain. when I went to the physio about this she said that I had .6 degree rotation (I think) in my knee which is going to cause me some problems. Over the past few weeks I have found that the pain in my knee can sometimes travel up my thigh or down to my shins, causing pain when I walk. And my knee frequently gives way when I am walking up stairs.
    Is there anything that I can do to improve it or ease the pain?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    East Anglia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: knee problems

Did the physio assess your back? This can refer pain to the areas you are describing.

Were you given any advice on how to manage your problems, what you can do to prevent them getting any worse?

Seeing a physio who is dance specific is your best bet. You may be able to find one on the OCPPP web site (private physio web site), otherwise speak to your coaches about stability training / control work.

Good luck

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Can someone help me?
    I have a client that has pain in his popliteal fossa. He also experiences cramping above and below the knee with increased activity, but never both at the same time. (He also has little-to-no feeling on the outside of the thigh on the same leg.) He has had x-rays, an Wikipedia reference-linkMRI, and an ultrasound of his knee - all normal. Any ideas on what may be causing these symptoms?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    East Anglia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Kall 123,

What have they xrayed, Wikipedia reference-linkMRI'd etc...?

Lumbar spine may cause this type of symptoms.

Neurological conditions.

Blood flow problems.

*May be start by requestionning...regarding onset, how long it takes to come on, the symptoms they are feeling etc...also go through all red flag type questions again.
    *If you can assess blood flow with a doppler or have a GP who can I would do this.
    *Check lumbar spine, neuro assessment.

Other things to consider if not already done are femoral torsion, leg length, pelvic alignment...etc. Assess gait including hinging points in lumbar and thoracic spine. It may be biomechanical related.

Good luck..I hope that you get to the bottom of the problem...always ask someone with a fresh pair of eyes to take a look.