Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Post Grad (pre registration) MSc Interviews, 'advice needed before interview'.

Firstly just to say hello to everyone on this forum as I have recently joined.

Basically I come cap in hand with the need for guidance and or assistance, that is, help related to my pre registration MSc interview which is due early May this year.

Could anyone please outline what the interviewers will be looking for specifically, what I need to prepare for and how I can show without any shadow of doubt that physiotherapy is for me. For some that completed their undergraduate physiotherapy BSc, I understand that may have been some time ago, however, if you could think back to what you were asked I would be forever grateful.

Thank you for your time.

Martin.

Similar Threads:

matt thomas

Re: Post Grad (pre registration) MSc Interviews, 'advice needed before interview'.

Hi martin,

I recently attended my MSc interview at Brighton University which i was successful for. The format included questions about my interests in physio and what made we want to train as one. I made a real point to emphasize my observation hours in the NHS and my interests other than in sports/msk.

I said i had become very interested in working with amputees and neurology following my placement. You will be asked if you think you are able to study at MSc level (make sure you have a good answer for this) and why that university (mention research completed there/any lecturers of particular stature etc). I was also asked if i had any experience/observation of physios working with the disabled and my future career aspirations.

Hope this helps. If i think of anything else i will let you know.

Best,

Matt

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Post Grad (pre registration) MSc Interviews, 'advice needed before interview'.

Cheers Matt,

Lots of people looked at my add but only you have answered so far, so a big thanks for that.

Yeah i thought about that stuff you mentioned but i must admit i never thought about looking at research they did etc......... good point.

Ill be sure to mention my undergrad experience and the NHS placements i have book for the coming week, i am getting the chance to work in many different areas. Just out of interest, what did you graduate with, ie, 2:1 or 1st ect.........?

Well done on getting into brighton, i was going to apply there too but just applied for 3 so far.

thanks again.

matt thomas

I graduated with a 2:1 in Sport and Exercise Science and have already completed one MSc in Sports Therapy/Rehab (by the way this answered the question about my ability to study at MSc level).

They also gave me the opportunity to ask them questions. Make sure you get some tough/probing questions at the ready. My major concern was employment prospects (and still is) and they were very honest saying it was very tough for new grads in the UK.

Where are you applying to?

I sent applications to Brighton, Essex, Manchester Met and Northumbria but I only got one interview at Brighton.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Matt,

I have been predicted a 1st class hons to date with an average of 82% with only 2 more pieces of work to hand in so hopefully that will work in my favour, although if i fluff up at the end then ill get a 2:1. wow, you have already done a MSc and your only 25, you must be a bright cookie.

So far i have only applied to MMU, Leeds and Southampton. I have interview offers for all 3 but i really want MMU.

so far my placement experience was 6 months shadowing a physio at the mulitiple sclerosis centre in york and 3 months working learning difficulties, young adults with neurological conditions. Next week i am at the NHS in Bolton working on all different wards, amputee, surgical, acute and out patient. hopefully this will stand my in good stead.

My main interest area is neurology, over my 3yrs undergrad i have concentrated specifically on that area and have even had one of my papers submitted for publication, still waiting though. Im so desperate to get this course.

Martin.

matt thomas

You sound as if you are very qualified and have some excellent insight into the profession with your placements. I really wanted to study at MMU but they said my application was weak, which i found very odd.

Best of luck with your interviews, let me know how you get on.

Matt

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Yes not only odd but a bit rude, to say your application was weak.

Thanks for your comments, im pleased you feel i have a good chance, makes me feel better. So what in particular did they think was weak about your application?

Martin.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Martin,

I'm in the same boat as you - just coming to the end of my first degree and without a doubt want to do physiotherapy!

I recently had an interview for the MSc pre registration course at KCL. I got asked a lot of questions about my current degree and how I could relate the skills I had gained from it to physiotherapy. I also got questions about if I thought I could cope with the pace of the course and one that threw me a bit at the time was what I thought the biggest challenge was to physiotherapists in current healthcare and how I could contribute to this. Also got questions on how I would cope with conflict in a team situation and the expected ones of why physiotherapy and what I thought I could offer to the profession.

I know I was a bit unsure of what to expect going into my interview so hope they help you out with preparing a bit - I absolutely know the feeling of really wanting to study physio so good luck with it all and from what you put above you sound like your in a really strong position.

Elle

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thanks for that Elle, some good information is coming my way now, all of which i feel will help me prepare for the interview.

Good luck on your interview and the outcome, i hope you get it.

Martin.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Antarctica
    Current Location
    somewhere
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear all,
    I als go an interview at KCL. They asked me a lot of questions about what I do in my practice, why King's, where I see myself in some years, reserch experience... and so on. I found it quite intense I must say.
    I hope the level is as intense as the interview ...

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Bristol
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I have been invited to attend a Birmingham Interview this week so this has been really useful at potential questions that could come my way. Very excited and nervous as I am desperate to become a physio.

Has anyone heard from Southampton about interviews as yet?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    slough
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey, im studying Msc at Southampton. I would say that if your anatomy and physiology is not the greatest than a BSc would probably be better.....unless you are an exceptional learner as the level of knowledge expected is quite high....saying that, it is possible. Most people on the course decided to do the MSc as it is 2 years instead of 3 but it doesnt really work out much shorter when compared to academic terms.
    As far as I remember there was alot of emphasis on doing an MSc over the BSc....so definitely make sure you know why you would rather do the MSc! I was also asked how I think I would cope with the demands of the course and how would I go about acheiving this. I was asked about my experience, why I wanted to do physiotherapy and why particularly at this uni. I was also asked about my last degree and specifically what I did for my dissertation and if I was to do it again what would I do differently.

Hope thats of some help!

If you are confident that physio is for you im sure this will portray in your interview.....
    I was also asked where I thought I could see myself in 5 years time and what my aspirations were....

Good luck!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    manchester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Wow! i just want to say a masssssssssssssssssive thankyou to everyone on here that spared the time to feedback on their interviews, i have to say it really helped me out and made me feel comfortable when sitting the interview at Manchester Met.

After all there were only 14 places on the pre registration MSc and thanks to you guys/gals i have been lucky enough in being offered a place, thank you so so much.

Martin.

matt thomas

Nice one Martin. I started back in April and it has been an eye opener to say the least!!!

Cant beleive the amount of information/work thats has been thrown my way, starting to freak out already and my exams are not for 2 months.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    Greater London
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi all,

I've applied to a few uni's for the MSc 2013 start... and I've got interview later this month for Birmingham and Kings!!!!!

I was hoping anybody could share advice and experiences for the interview processes

Thanks all

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leicester
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

The information I have seen on this forum is very helpful to say the least. I've just completed my Sports Therapy degree, and have always had a desire to elevate into Physiotherapy. I too, have applied to pre-reg MSc most of these are Jan starts Teesside, Leeds Met, UEA, Brighton, Southampton and Man Met (I know!). I know there are a lot of applicants and so little places (congrats to those who have places and interviews).
    Leeds Mets is my favourite, but has anyone heard / compared differencies between the others and how many students each intake. I'm slightly pesimistic about it the situation, but I have strong experience and ambition in developing into a physiotherapy, but I just need the chance of an interview.
    Just have to wait for now.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Liam