Current Location
    Houston
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Elbow problems while strength training

Hello everybody,

New to the forums here and this is my first topic. I've recently decided to start eating better and working out, but I have a problem that is stopping me in my tracks when it comes to my strength training right now.

When I do certain exercises that extend my right elbow such as chest presses and tricep pulldowns, I have a locking / catching sensation in my elbow and I have to stop the exercise. When it happens I feel like if I extend my arm any further, a balloon or something might pop in my elbow. It's not necessarily painful, it just feels like a serious sensation of discomfort and pressure building up.

I'm right-handed and due to my hobbies I think that this might be the result of long term repetitive motion with my right arm.

It doesn't ever occur unless the joint is loaded, and even though I tried to do a proper warm up with the joint today (doing what elbow stretches I know such as pressing down on the wrist with a straight arm), it still happened.

I think I need to see a doctor or someone about this but I don't know. Can anyone help shed light on this? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks in advance,

Doug