Irelan
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Anterior - Left

Patellar Tendonitis / Tendonosis

Findhan here, a long time lurker but first time poster. Im not a physio but would like to think I have at least a bit of cop on - I thought Id post up some findings of what Ive been doing lately to combat patellar tendon pain.
    I compete in powerlifting and mountain biking (yes strange combination I know but surprisingly complimentary). 5 months ago, I had a bankart repair to my shoulder to repair an old trampolining related injury but the long and short of it was that I was going from doing 8-9 exercise sessions a week to zero. For 5 weeks I did nothing but sit in a chair pretty much to heal the shoulder and muscles everywhere atrophied. I started getting a sore left patellar tendon going up and down stairs but thought it was likely due to just being as weak as water. I got back on the exercise bike about week 5 for a few 20 min sessions a week and continued until about week 8 when the pain increased to a point where I thought I should do something - its not just weakness, its something else I thought.
    So a few weeks of rest followed and then a few weeks slowly trying to build it up with one bodyweight squats and one leg pistol squats but to no avail. This also included icing 2-3 times per day. No improvement at all and I had pain most of the day, sitting at work, standing at work, going up and down stairs, etc.
    about 2 weeks ago now I started eccentric single leg squats for 2 days, 3 times per day, pushing through some pain. I then made a 35 degree wedge to raise my heel and then did the single leg pistol squats on it 2-3 times per day. Icing has continued. I dont want to tempt fate here but I can safely say that my condition is improving considerably. I have also added eccentric only leg curls in the gym twice a week. Hopefully if this continues, another 3 weeks and I should be back doing eccentric and concentric exercises.

I also started a lot of stretching of every muscle group in my lower body - none were overly tight but just to try and eliminate any tight/loose imbalances from the equation. Im sure the reason that the pain started is due to poor gait:I would initially strike with the outer portion of my heel and then shift weight to my inner foot where the arch would collapse. Ive some temporary insoles in my shoes now and am getting proper orthotics done up.

So, just thought Id share in case anyone is interested. My findings, for want of a better word are:
    • Ensure muscles are stretched to counteract any imbalances
    • Rest initially for a period of time (ill leave you to decide whats an appropriate time)
    • Eccentric only single leg squats - heel flat for the first while then make a wooden wedge
    • Ice like mad
    • Ask yourself why this happened in the first place and try and correct that - Im pretty sure mine is due to poor gait