Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Lumbar, Spine - Posterior

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Left

Frequent pain in lower back on left handside, sometimes along with hip pain

HI, I am 28 years old male. I have been weight training for over an year. I deadlifts and squats make my lower back hurt but only on the left side. My lower back muscles on the left hand side are always stiff even when there is no pain. If I bend my back backwards I will be able to feel my left handside lower back before right hand side as if the muscles on the left are shorter. Pain goes away and comes back whenever I start training heavy again. I don't think its the form.
    I don't think I its lateral tilt pelvis. Today I looked into the mirror and placed my fingers at the edge of the pelvis and it seems to be alright. However, I tried pelvic raises, one side at a time while standing . The right hand side was smooth, but I noticed there is a slight jerk or locking as I lift my left side of pelvis. Does it mean something?
    I have no trouble raising either of my legs up as of now. But I do have pain and tightness in the left hand side.
    Also, please not that I had an appendectomy appendectomy 12 years ago. There is a scar on the right side of my abdomen. Could it be that? Could it be weak abdominal muscles? Weak glutes? What I have no idea.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Lawrence
    Member Type
    Other Allied Health Care Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Frequent pain in lower back on left handside, sometimes along with hip pain

Hi, Someguy!

First of all, do you work with a personal trainer? If no, I'd check your program to reduce possible mistakes. Maybe there's a poor posture or wrong stance involved.
    I also know that prior injuries/surgeries cause muscle asymmetry, so if your technique is fine, that could be the reason.

But need to mention, I'm not a professional trainer, so I'd recommend you to ask for some recommendations from your local trainers.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Vancouver
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I had a slipped herniated disc 18 months ago after years of playing high-impact sports. I also weight trained quite heavily back then (doctor said that both activities might be leading-causes for the pain). Not sure to what extend you weight lift or what kind of sports you play, but weight-lifting is definitely a cause for slipped discs.

For me I also had pain (more like numbness) on my entire left side. The pain started from my lower back and extended outwards to my knees and shoulders. It made things worse that I continued to weight-lift in whatever manner I can. I reduced the weight I lifted drastically for a while. I used to deadlift 2.75x my bodyweight, but reduced that to 2x my bodyweight. Until the doctor said I had to stop. Cold-turkey.

Even after I stopped working out, the pain worsened at night and it got to the point where I had pain from walking too long of a distance. Again only on the left side. Sometimes just sitting hurt me.

My doctor recommended a light exercise and pain-medication regimen. In the beginning, the physical regimen was difficult because the weak medication didn't alleviate the pain. They upgraded me to percocets, which nearly ruined my life. It was good pain relief in the beginning but after a while the pain relief effects subsided, and I found myself taking more and more just to feel a little bit of relief. Even worse, I was vomiting and feeling lightheaded every day. I almost gave up on the physical regimen, and everything completely.

Then I switched over to Kratom, a natural plant, which gave me the pain relief I needed. I did research on red strain kratom which was supposed to relief pain and it worked like a charm. With the help of kratom, I continued my doctor's physical regimen program which consisted of:

• yoga
    • swimming
    • cycling

I also had to stop weight lifting completely for 3 months. I can't remember the last time I didn't weight lift for more than 2 weeks. So this was the biggest change for me.

After 6 months, my pain stopped. I couldn't believe it. I thought I wouldn't be able to walk again. But kratom combined with a strict "low movement, light weight" physical regimen saved my life.

Today, I stopped taking as much kratom as I did back then. But I still use it because there are different strains of kratom for different purposes (red strain=pain relief, white strain=energy, green strain=mood up-lifter). I use the white strain during the day like coffee. Gives me an immediately boost of energy and lasts for around 5-6 hours.

If you're in Canada, I recommend a store called canadakratomexpress.com--hands down the best quality I've ever had.

And don't always listen to your doctor. They know how to diagnose the situation most of the time. But in terms of treatment, they will always give you the brands that the clinic or hospital sells--even if they don't believe in their effects.

Good luck with everything. Living with pain is inevitable, but suffering shouldn't be. I hope you find relief soon.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Im glad this was brought up. Im also having the same issue after weightlifting. I also dont know if it ahs anything to do with playing basketball.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Proper dead lifting technique is essential.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of good treatment for back pain technique from the famous Australian physiotherapist David Bulter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ABAS3tkkuE

- - - Updated - - -

" back pain extending to knees and shoulders" shows it may be a nerve problem, have you seen a physio to get a proper diagnosis and treatment?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    HI, I am 28 years old male. I have been weight training for over an year. I deadlifts and squats make my lower back hurt but only on the left side. My lower back muscles on the left hand side are always stiff even when there is no pain. If I bend my back backwards I will be able to feel my left handside lower back before right hand side as if the muscles on the left are shorter. Pain goes away and comes back whenever I start training heavy again. I don't think its the form.
    I don't think I its lateral tilt pelvis. Today I looked into the mirror and placed my fingers at the edge of the pelvis and it seems to be alright. However, I tried pelvic raises, one side at a time while standing . The right hand side was smooth, but I noticed there is a slight jerk or locking as I lift my left side of pelvis. Does it mean something?
    I have no trouble raising either of my legs up as of now. But I do have pain and tightness in the left hand side.
    Also, please not that I had an appendectomy appendectomy 12 years ago. There is a scar on the right side of my abdomen. Could it be that? Could it be weak abdominal muscles? Weak glutes? What I have no idea.
    Have you try flexing your spine to open up

Stretching your back muscles after every dead lift?

Using a foam roller to relief your back pain?

How heavy do you lift? How many sets and reps per week? Which particular gym exercise aggrevates the pain?

I am an Australian personal trainer keen to know more.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    Physiotherapy helps to heal injury, illness, or disability. It helps to restore movement and function in muscle tissue or joint area. Physiotherapy helps to prevent further damage in the affected area. Treatment should be done to support and manage good health and prevent disease. You can do physiotherapy treatment at home at any time and anywhere with a natural approach without any side effects with the help of an Ultracare Pro device which is tested and approved by a physiotherapist. To know more:-https://ultracarepro.in/