Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ankle Sprain

Hi all,

Hope someone can help as i'm tearing my hair out not being able to jog and play football.... in training for a marthon too.

I went over on my ankle 6 weeks ago and its still pretty swollen. Its an anterior sprain and I got it x-rayed, doctor said it was just a sprain. I went through the RICE method over the first 4 days and stayed off my feet as much as I could. I haven't been to a physio yet but I think I might have to. The ankle is still swollen and feels weak on any twists or when I start to open my stride, I continue to ice it on and off 20 mins twice a day. I still put in 25km on the bike up the gym 3-4 times a week, but dont put any weight on the ankle.

Here are pics of both the injured and un-injured ankle. Thanks for any advice/tips, much appreciated

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Chicago, IL
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Ankle Sprain

If you're truly that active, I'm not sure why you would delay seeing a physio at all, let alone wait several weeks.

my advice - get to a physio. Do what they say. Keep biking for cardio in the meantime.

Oee
    Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Well my thinking was that the swelling had not gone down and seeing as the doctor did not seem too concerned about the injury I guessed it wasnt that serious. I dont see the point in seeing a physio unless the injury is complicated or serious. In the same way I dont like going to the doctor with a cold. Turns out I was wrong in regards to this injury as it seems worse than I had thought.... my opinion was based on the doctors reaction and the fact that, although my ankle was swollen, it wasnt painful.

I do appreciate the reply though. Going to the physio tomorrow, hopefully the swelling is just fluid build up or something.

HeidiMills

Hi
    Ankle sprains can be awkward to treat if left for long periods. Becuase they are so common people often think they don't need professional treatment.

Although there is still pain and swelling I would advise you to start a rehab program using range of motion and resistance band exercises. You can find more here:
    sprained ankle

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

When you say anterior ankle, do you mean a syndesmosis sprain? If so, then this would take longer to get better anyway eg. returns to sport at around 6/52. If it was a grade II syndesmosis sprain then ultimately it should have been treated NWB? Also, have you done any proprioceptive exercises?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I would suggest to enroll in a program giving prescribed exercises and simple massages as well. A regular exercise concentrating on the affected area would heal pains and swelling gotten from sprain.

[B][I][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.summitphysio.com.au/"]summit physiotherapy[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Miller
    Member Type
    Exercise Therapist/Fitness Professional
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    I found a very simple at home rehab treatment for sprained ankles called H.E.M. It contains a wide variety of healing methods that are simple to do and do not require any equipment. I used it myself and now recommend it to my clients regularly.

I have yet to find anything else that is simple to do and works so effectively. I noticed a substantial reduction in swelling in 2 days and was walking normally again in 4. I went for a run on day 6 and had no pain. H.E.M. contains a complete rehab and prehab treatment program with a wide variety of healing techniques, stretches and exercises. I recommend it very highly. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Best,
    Mark