Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Manchester
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Question Football Player - Calf problem.

Hello,

I'm treating a gentleman who I've only had a very brief session with so far, who has had surgery on his achilles tendon, for multiple adhesions, approximately 7/12 ago. He didn't have much physiotherapy post surgery and had severe tightness in the calf. He plays regularly for an amateur football side and was back playing pre-season in July (about 4/5 games) although he admits he may have returned to sport too early. Whilst sprinting during training he felt a pull in his calf quite localisted to the peroneus tendon on the fibula.He doesn't have any obvious reduced ROM or muscle weakness. He does have tightness in the calf and some scar tissue around the same locality.
    He has been applying heat and doing stretchs for the calf. He has been having some deep massage to reduce scar tissue. At present he is able to run 3/4 pace and is also doing bounding over small hurdles. He feels that if he were to sprint again it may pull. I am planning to take a close look at his foot posture and gait when I next see him. But I am unsure as how I could progress with treatment.

Sorry I can't provide much info but any ideas would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Ireland
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Football Player - Calf problem.

it sound like he may be puching himself a bit soon??if he is getting severe stiffness post exercise which eases with movement he may be pushing himself a bit much into a chronic inflammation. in that case he should ease off and just try some jogging for the moment. he can also be given a program to maintain total body fitness- eg arm weights, swimming, cycling, water jogging.
    from what youve said i would concentrate on deep frictions regularly (ie he may need to come in twice weekly to have any effect of these, or be taught self treatment), 5 times daily calf and hamsting lengthening, strengthening of the tibialis anterior to balance out any pull on the peroneal, possible strengthening of the gluts if these are weak. postural correction work, modification of technique(ie check his running style, see if his coach says he is doing anything wrong). then perhaps prescription insoles if you feel foot biomechanics are implicated. alot of treatment may just be slow progression back to sport. hope this helps

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Manchester
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

That's very helpful. Thanks for replying with some ideas.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Nigeria
    Current Location
    Poland
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

i also have calf stiffness and pain on november 20th and since then i have stop training,doing exercise and without running,even i have done all sort of treatment on my own as R.I.C.E and now its about 5weeks plus but i started runnind gradually since 3days back without much pain,im jogging nicely but only i have some strange feelings on my calf while running..and whenever i wake up in morning i feel some pain and later fine,also if i climb step in room,i feel little pain and whenever i do stretches and back exercise i feel fine for 2minutes and later feel little pain..is there anyone who can help? may be any exercise or ideas?

Michael.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    India
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Assistant
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Taping
    You can go for Ultrasound physiotherapy, It will give you proper pain relief. This therapy helps to reduce pain. While healing your body’s deep tissue, stress and muscle tightness and backpain can connect back to the root cause of your pain. Ultrasound therapy effects help to soften tissue cell metabolism. It helps to increase blood flow, it makes the cells more receptive to healing fluids. Ultrasound US111 is the modern device which help to release ‘Endorphins’ which is natural healing chemical released by body to heal pain. US111 therapy uses the natural approach without any side effects. For better results and improvement and it is easy to carry anywhere anytime. US111 will give you best results at home you should try out and check the best features of US111 :-https://ultracarepro.in/product/us-1...le-ultrasound/