liverpool
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advice regarding AHPRA registration for private MSK physios

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to clear up some confusion I'm having with registrations at the minute! My boyfriend and myself are UK trained physios with more than 6 years experience in MSK we are planning to move to sydney in autumn of this year to work in private practice. We have gained NZ registration and have the Annual Practising Certificate. Do we now have to also apply for AHPRA registration? If so does anyone know what the registration gives you? Is this enough or do you then have to register with the health board of whichever state you intend to work in e.g. NSW? I have also come across the Australian Physiotherapy Association do we need to be a member of this!? Also do any of these cover you for public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance or is that something extra you need to purchase on top?

There seems to be so many people to register with I'm getting totally confused as in the UK its just the CSP and HPC.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks Annie x

Similar Threads:

cformby Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Advice regarding AHPRA registration for private MSK physios

Hi Annie,

You do have to register with AHPRA, your APC only allows you to practice in New Zealand just as your HPC registration only allows you to practice in the UK. AHPRA is Australia's equivalent of the HPC, you need to register with them to be able to legally work as a physio in Australia, you wont be able to find work here without it. All the states have now combined so once you're registered with AHPRA you don't need to register with individual states (at least not Queensland, Victoria or NSW).

You don't need to be a member of the APA. They're a little bit like the CSP and you do get discounts on courses if you're a member but unlike the CSP you don't get any form of insurance from them. If you're planning to work in private practice you will need professional indemnity insurance and public liabilty insurance to cover yourself. You can buy this online and it comes through in minutes so you don't need to worry about that until you have a job offer (some private practices will even pay for it for you if they like you enough).

In short AHPRA is Australia's version of the HPC, you need to register with them. APA is like the CSP but without the insurance aspect, you don't need to register with them.

Hope this helps.

Claire

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    liverpool
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Advice regarding AHPRA registration for private MSK physios

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi Claire,

Thanks so much for your reply, it is just what I was looking for and explains everything really well!

Thanks again!!