Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Red face working in Perth

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi, I am a UK trained physio with 12 years experience, 10 of which in MSK. I am at the beginning of the process and will be coming over on my husbands skills visa. I would like to know whether it is possible to become registered to work in Perth in any other way than the australian exam or will they except the NZ registration (which seems more long winded but able to do in the UK before coming out). I am sure this has been answered a thousand times previously but any hints or tips would be greatfully received.
    Also would it be easier to work in a different territory regarding registration.
    Lastly what are the equivilent grades and pay levels in Aus compared with the UK (I am a band 7 at present).

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: working in Perth

Hi Ibby, just chased this post from your NZ post. From what I have read you can't work in Western australia on a NZ registration. If you find otherwise and decide to pursue the NZ registration i am based around Leeds and would be happy to get together to work through the process.
    Stu

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Stu,
    From various people and different sites it does not look like there is any other way to work in Perth other than to do the exams. I am now working on my husband to go to Adelaide! I am therefore planning on trying to get NZ registration, I have been told that audit can be substituted for the research do you have any idea whether this is correct.
    Ibby

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Harrogate, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Ibby, I think you can count audit, or any other similar research related activity. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect all candidates to have carried out a full research project in the 3 fields of physio. Having read the competencies relating to reseach (although only fleetingly at this stage) they seem to stress an understanding of the research process rather than in depth practical experience. Have a look at Spud's posts on "I got into NZ first time" (or something like that) in the NZ forums.
    Good Luck
    Stewart

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Geraldton. Western Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi. I am an English trained Physio, I am working in WA - You need to get NZ registration and then apply to NSW, Queensland or Victoria registration Boards under the Trans-Tasman recognition act, you can then apply to WA once you are registered in another australian state. basically WA doesn't accept trans tasman recognition. You do not need to go through ACOPRA unless you need to get a visa based on your physio qualification, you only need registration with the physio registration board. Once you have registration in NZ it is just a case of getting certified copies of your qualification and NZ rego to get NSW/VIC/QLD rego and then the same again to the WA board. It is worth doing - WA is a great place to work. Good Luck
    Jane

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

hi Jane
    Thanks for the tip, I feel alot better knowing there is a way around the maze of registration for WA. Was beginning to think I would not be working for a while when we got there. Only have to sort out my NZ registration now!!!
    Ibby

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Perth, Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi everyone!

I also have few questions concerning registering in Perth. I am a foreign trained therapist from the US. Is it legit to register in NZ and then practice in Aus? Does anyone know the pass rate for foreign trained therapists when taking the australian board exam?

Thanks so much for your help,

MSgal