Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Confused re Canada

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi. I am a newly qualified physio and am thinking of applying to Canada. I have read some of the other threads but am still a little confused as to what you actually need before you are able to work. I know you have to start the credentialling process going but do you have to have passed the exams over there before getting a job? I know a UK graduate has sent his CV off a got a job already before he has even left the UK (unless this is dodgy?!).

Help!
    Thanks
    Sheridan

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Toronto
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Confused re Canada

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi,

I can understand why you're confused, the different provinces have different rules and it can be a pain to pin down what happens when. I am a UK grad of 2006 and I'm almost done the process of coming to work in Ontario-short of passing the clinical part of the competency exam (thats best researched on a different thread).

To work in Ontario you'll need the alliance of physio regulators to assess your credentials (www.alliancept.org), which can take upto 22wks if you're the first from your uni to apply. Then you need to pass the written exam, which is also run by the alliance. Once thats done, you can work under a provisional license from the ontario college of physios (www.collegept.org) and you will need your senior to sign a mentor agreement for that. Only passing the clinical exam will let you practice independently. Before you can start to work you'll need a positive labour market assessment from Human resources skills development cananda (www.hrsdc.gc.ca), and then a work permit, which can take about 8wks-3months and will include a medical from a registered clinic. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp).

I won't go into more detail, as you might be wanting to work somewhere other than ontario, in which case they may have different rules. The alliance is a national regulatory body, so its always worth giving them a call to see what you need to do in the various provinces. I have a friend who has a job in B.C and she said you can work after the credentialing is complete, as long as you then go on to pass the exams, so it sounds like thats what your friend has done. B.C are very short on physios right now, so they have lots of recruiting events in england.

I've almost done the process and I'm glad I did it, so don't take this the wrong way, but there were many times when I didn't think it was worth it. Studying for the exam is not easy, theres lots that Canadian physios do that we don't cover on our courses. It also costs a lot of money and takes a long time, not as much or as long as some other countries, but its still a battle. Ok, you've been warned

Other resources that are worth calling/looking up are the canadian physio association (http://www.physiotherapy.ca/).

I hope this helps.

Chris