Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Here is more advice on NZ Registration

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    * First of all, READ the post written by SPUD ''I got my registration first time...’’, what you will find here is just a complement.

COMPETENCIES: I gathered everything I had (Syllabus, letters, research papers, dissertation, work experience – paid and non paid, schools presentations, case studies, short courses, etc) and started dividing it by category: Musculoskeletal, Cardio, Neuro. Thus, trying to fill out most of the ''sub competencies''. I did not do the other way around, like many have already warned –'' answering it like an exam’’. Note that the evidence given to fulfill some of the competencies such as the 5 (Communication) were basically the same for the 3 areas.

The only reflective statement I wrote was related to ‘''Explain and apply Management Principles within the New Zealand Healthcare System’’. It was one page long and I've attached it as evidence for Competency 1.

PORTFOLIO: Following each main area( Musc, Neuro, Cardio) were 10 pages, one for each competency. Under the competency number I wrote ''Refer to:'' and then listed all my related evidence. Please note there is no model for the portfolio, mine looked very basic but it worked. I believe there are other ways to make it better.

CV: Make it as detailed as possible, especially if you have work experience. Write dates, position held, location, duties, responsibilities and areas covered. And if you had any ''career breaks'', you have to state that to!

SYLLABUS: If yours is like mine (about 120 pages) ask the university for a permission to make a summary pointing the most important aspects: course description, course objectives, teaching methodology, course assessment, class schedule, etc. After doing that, ask a university staff ( I asked the Director of my Bachelor course) to write a cover letter – or write it yourself - stating that it is a faithful, authorized summary of the original syllabus, etc. Then ask him to sign it. In the end, my syllabus had about 14 pages. I had all my documents translated, so imagine if I had to pay for the entire syllabus $$$ !?

DISSERTATION\Final Project:
    No need to send the whole thing. I've sent a certified copy, signed by a faculty staff of the: cover (title), abstract, summary, introduction, conclusion and bibliography, and it was fine!

///////////////

For those who need to translate their documents: make sure all official translations and certified copies of documents are no older than 6 months before you send your application for the first time!

I was granted the registration last month, my entire process took over 1 year (it was my fault, I was slack for about 6 months after my primary application was returned)
    Each step of the application takes about 4-5 weeks + mail time, and the Board sends you letters indicating your application’s progress as well as any additional evidence/document they might require. I got a total of 4 letters.

I hope this can also help you getting through the process. Take some time reading others posts, too. You might find some really useful information! So, keep your hopes high and carry on with the hard work, it is worth it! (I have just started looking for work in beautiful NZ, imagine that!)

Good Luck!
    Boa Sorte!

Denise

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Christmas Island
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Here is more advice on NZ Registration

Congratulations Dense for obtaining NZ regstration .

Just , It is interesting to me to know your Standard of English Competency for NZ registration , the NZ board criteria is Academic IELTS 7.5 with 7 band for every band .

Have you been able to get 7.5 IELTS academioc score ? Well , my question based on English language is not your first language .

cheers
    Emasd

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi emad,

yes, you are right. English is not my first language and I had to take the IELTS, twice. The first one I failed in the writing component, so I practiced it a lot for the second try.
    When I applied to take that exam, I also bought the book "How to prepare for IELTS" - British Counsil. It is quite thin acctually, and I totally recommend it. You may also find some free online exercise samples.

It is possible!!!

Denise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Christmas Island
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi again Denise :

I think it is impossible to get 7.5 Academic Ielts with 7 each band !!!

cheers
    Emad

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your advice. I have just started to work on the portfolio. But I still have some questions.

You said you divided all materials you have into the 3 categories, each of which had 10 pages and one for each competency. Then, listed all related evidence under each competency.

Does it mean that you grouped all information for each Sub-competency and wrote them all under the Competency? i.e. you didn't list under each sub-competency

If one page for each competency but competency 5-9 are the same for each category, did you send out the same page for each category?
    For example, if one evidence (e.g. workshop, placement, courses) covered some components, then another evidence covered some other components of Competency 1, did you write out all you learnt and then list out the evidence at the end?

I am trying to describe things I learnt under each Sub-competency of each competency but it seems that I am repeating the information as for some of the sub-competencies seem similar and overlapping. Besides, the things learnt in different evidences were overlapping as well.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Does it mean that you grouped all information for each Sub-competency and wrote them all under the Competency? i.e. you didn't list under each sub-competency
    Exactly! I did not list each sub-competency. I would never have finished my portfolio or it would have taken a long long time if I have done it that way. I did try to make it as complete as possible, attaching all evidence I could find to support each competency, the sub-competencies were more like guidance.

If one page for each competency but competency 5-9 are the same for each category, did you send out the same page for each category?
    Ok, here I tell you exactly what I did: first time I sent my Portfolio I completed all 10 competencies the way I have already described for the Musculoskeletal. Then, for the Neuro and Cardio-respiratory I completed competencies 1,2,3,4 and 10, considering competencies 5-9 were the same for all. My whole application was returned to me as ''incomplete''. The Board claimed the 5-9 competencies were missing from the Neuro and Cardio-respiratory...so you see, next time I sent it, I just made copies of the 5-9 competencies with just one or two different evidences for each area, e.g.I added a seminar that I did in Neuro, a study case presentation in cardio, etc. For competencies 5-9, I also referred a lot to my letters of validation.( I got 2 or 3 from each area)

For example, if one evidence (e.g. workshop, placement, courses) covered some components, then another evidence covered some other components of Competency 1, did you write out all you learnt and then list out the evidence at the end?
    Ok, I am not sure I understood this one well, but I am going to say how I listed all evidence under each main Competency:
    - Subjects from my syllabus (when applicable, mostly in the first competencies)
    - Letters of validation
    - CV ( post graduate courses, short courses, certificates, etc)
    - Other evidence such as case studies, seminars, assessment forms, etc.

The evidence list for Competency 1 was long, wrote several of the subjects from my Syllabus, while in Competency 3, for example, I had no more than 4 items on my list.

I did repeat my evidences, especially for competency 1! I may have repeated certain subjects from my syllabus at least 3 times. If one evidence is also relevant to another competency, then why not use it?!

I am trying to describe things I learnt under each Sub-competency of each competency but it seems that I am repeating the information as for some of the sub-competencies seem similar and overlapping. Besides, the things learnt in different evidences were overlapping as well.
    I did not describe what I have learned, just referred to the subjects; they already had my syllabus detailing each subject and what were supposedly learned. I am not saying that you should not do it, write reflective statements, I believe many physios do! I just thought that the information I provided did not require further explanations. (And it seems a lot of extra work!) The only statement I wrote was related to the NZ healthcare system.

You are welcome! I am glad to help

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. You clear the cloud in my head.

BTW, thanks for answering my questions in another thread.

Cheers, Hilda

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Well done in get registration, hope you enjoy NZ as much as I am. All the best with the job hunting, if its msk jobs also try here New Zealand Private Physiotherapists Association

spud

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi there Spud,
    Thank you for the website advertising jobs. I only knew the one from NZSP oh, and ''seek''. Also, it is great to hear from someone who has been through this same process and is already there! As for me, I am sooOOoo looking forward to move to New Zealand!

\\\\

Portfolio
    For the ones preparing it, I've read in another post about writing a short reflective statement under each main Competency and then, listing all the related evidences. I think that is a great idea!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Talking Re: Here is more advice on NZ Registration

Hello Denise,

I am also from Brazil and I applied for my registration in New Zealand in July last year. I received three letters to send them more information and the last letter asked more evidence in the competencies 1 to 4 and 8. I wrote 400 pages and I am really disappointed that they still ask for more! I am getting crazy with them...

I have studied my physio degree at Puccamp and my postgraduate studies at Unicamp, so in total I have 5 years studies plus 2 years experience in musculosketal. Did it happen to you at some stage?

When I first called them they said to me that no one from Brazil had a successful result, but I am persistent as my dream is to live in New Zealand and work there as a physio.

I am living in Australia at the moment, did you apply for it straight from Brazil? Could you give me a little help?

Thank you ,

Cris.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

...asked more evidence in the competencies 1 to 4 and 8. I wrote 400 pages...
    Just wanted to make a quick comment.
    Hope, I do get this right, but I thought, if they ask you for more evidence, they mean "hard core" evidence, e.g. course certificates, curriculum, peer reviews, performance appraisals etc., not more of your own writing/ reflections. ???

And as to 8/research: normally, all you have to do is submit your curriculum and research project.

Hope this helps,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear Fyzzio,

Thank you very much for your comment. I did lack to send my research project translated. I guess Ill translate my both thesis (under and postgrad studies) and ask my supervisors to sign and send it directly.

Peer reviews and performance appraisal were also lacking in my portfolio. The other documents as course description (professional development) with certificates, university syllabus, etc...were all sent.

They also claimed I was lacking in patient treatment details... I guess I should send them everything I can document' wise.
    I will have a lot of work to do...my deadline is 13th May.....Until now I didnt ask for any help, but I do need now!

It would be very nice if I could have some support of the physio community, especially from those who already got their registration, as Denise for example. I think you were the first Brazilian to get it.

Thanks again, Cris.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Oi Cris!
    I can understand why you are so upset after so much work! I also saw that you have already exchanged messages with Fyzzio and that you lacked documents, the good thing now is that you know what is missing! The best advice I have for you, if you have not done that yet, is to read carefully the other posts and check if the documents you have provided for each Competency (especially 1 to 4 and 8) are similar to the ones suggested. You may find that you can ‘squeeze in’ some more evidence to support your application.

Something that I've noticed, you wrote that you have 2 years of experience in musculoskeletal since graduation. The Board needs you to prove to be competent in the 3 main areas of physiotherapy. (Is your post grad. course also in musc.?) After graduation, did you have any sort of experience in neuro or cardio-respiratory? That could also be the reason why the Board keeps asking you for more evidence. About the last letter, more evidence is needed from all main areas, including musculoskeletal?

I guess I’ll translate my both thesis (under and postgrad studies) and ask my supervisors to sign and send it directly.
    Absolutely, do that. Send both thesis and if they are extensive, translate the important bits(summary, introduction, conclusion, etc) and not the whole thing!

They also claimed I was lacking in patient treatment details...
    Translate blank patient’s assessment\treatment forms that you used during your work experience (musc) and from your university’s last year internship ( cardioresp and neuro). It might help.

Indeed, I was in Brazil the whole time while my application was being processed; did most of my training here, too, and about 4 years of work experience. Huh, I am not aware of being the first Brazilian to get the registration; there might not be many going through this process, anyway! I am hoping and wishing you can also get it! The hardest part is definitely putting your portfolio together, oh yeah and the waiting...
    Boa sorte (good luck)! I am no expert in NZ registration but feel free to contact me again if you have more doubts.
    Denise

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Poland
    Current Location
    Ireland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Denise,

thanks for all your work put in this forum - all the info I found so helpful!!

I'm still not sure about 'validation of work history' - I'm confused whether I should use the form that you can download from web and give it to my employers and get them to send it directly to NZ or should I just get letters from them (just like I got from my peers and supervisors) and attach to the application?
    If my employer sent the form directly to NZ how can I be sure that they supported my competency - retorical question. So I'm not sure then if I can reference it in my portfolio - dilemma

How did you go about all letters and validations?

Hope you're well and all set in NZ

justinwood

can i have con-selling person for NZ registration because it will help many such people like me.
    Please consider my suggestion.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Denise,

Congrats on getting the NZ registration. I haven't yet started the process but I understand that I will have to study for an year before I can apply. Also its over 10yrs since I graduated so I am wodnering how to validate my work exp & internship etc ?
    From the other forums I got the information that since I graduated from India NZ board might ask for more cardio-respiratory experience. I am currently in the US & my area of work is musculoskeletal. Do you know which specific area of cardiorespiratory the board is interested so that I can take a uni course to make up for the deficiency.

Thanks,

Pradnya

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    which specific area of cardiorespiratory the board is interested
    Obviously, that question is best directed to the Board and you can always ring them - but, in the meantime ...

If you look at the competency templates, they state quite clearly what competences you have to meet (1-3). Just look at them and check what's missing for you. I know that the NZ programme looks at medical as well as surgical respiratory, so make sure, both are included. And they are really hot on clinical analysis/ evaluation and evidence-based practice.

When I looked at the application guideline last, I remember it said something about evidence for the last 10 years. So you might not have to have references for your internships - just submit the placement assessment forms and the placement info from your academic transcript.

Hope this helps,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Philippine
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Emad,

It is POSSIBLE to get IELTS 7.5 Academic with 7 on each band. One just needs to keep on trying, some of those who took ielts even had to sit for the exams several times...

CHEERS =))

Charlize29

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Brazil
    Current Location
    Brazil
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Dear Fyzzio,

Thank you very much for your comment. I did lack to send my research project translated. I guess Ill translate my both thesis (under and postgrad studies) and ask my supervisors to sign and send it directly.

Peer reviews and performance appraisal were also lacking in my portfolio. The other documents as course description (professional development) with certificates, university syllabus, etc...were all sent.

They also claimed I was lacking in patient treatment details... I guess I should send them everything I can document' wise.
    I will have a lot of work to do...my deadline is 13th May.....Until now I didnt ask for any help, but I do need now!

It would be very nice if I could have some support of the physio community, especially from those who already got their registration, as Denise for example. I think you were the first Brazilian to get it.

Thanks again, Cris.
    Hi, there! I`m wondering if you`ve got your registration. I hope so! I wonder if you could give me some tips, since yours application seemed harder and If you know some colleague that recently has tried to apply such as me (I haven`t tried yet, I am still looking for more information). Someone have told me that the board asked to study 2 years more in New Zealand University.
    Thank you in advanced!

Healing Hands Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    United States of America
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hello,

I am a PT in USA. I’m dreaming for NZ. I seek your guidance on how to arrange portfolio. Can you please provide me your email address? I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you
    Dave B.