Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

UK educated Physiotherapist wanting to work in USA

Please help! I am so frustrated at not getting any clear guidance recommendations on obtaining a license to practice in the USA
    My profession qualifications are as follows
    1. BSc hons in Physiotherapy
    2. MSc Sport and exercise Medicine
    3. PG Dip Sports Rehabilitation

Is this enough to apply to the FCCPT for review. Im getting confused that I may need a doctorate in PT as well, which if so I really would have to reconsider.
    Thanks In advance for any replies/recommendations/guidance

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: UK educated Physiotherapist wanting to work in USA

Hi Kristanluca,

It all depends on the state you are wishing to apply for. I am in the final stages of getting my credentials reviewed after having completed courses for a few deficiencies. I have a Masters in physiotherapy and am applying for Florida. Florida and my need for immigration means that I am required to be use the Coursework Tools 6 (CWT6) which means my degree/s are compared to that of a doctorate degree in the US. You do not have to have a doctorate degree for Florida, but I do not have any insight in to other states. Please do your own research there.

I will suggest that when applying that you get all the relevant course profiles etc from ALL the courses you have done as I got credits for a diploma I did before going back to start my physic degree which covered a few credit points.

If there are any deficiencies that do not seem straight forward to cover, I would strongly suggest going for the PLAN service. It is a tad expensive but the time it will save you is immeasurable. My PLAN advisor was excellent and answered all my questions really quickly. Also the cost includes a re-evaluation once you've completed all your deficiencies.

I also suggest this facebook page: FCCPT Rule Changes and Updates, for further insight.

Good luck. It isn't a fast process by any means but it is not impossible either!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Minneapolis, US
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaPhysio View Post
    Hi Kristanluca,

It all depends on the state you are wishing to apply for. I am in the final stages of getting my credentials reviewed after having completed courses for a few deficiencies. I have a Masters in physiotherapy and am applying for Florida. Florida and my need for immigration means that I am required to be use the Coursework Tools 6 (CWT6) which means my degree/s are compared to that of a doctorate degree in the US. You do not have to have a doctorate degree for Florida, but I do not have any insight in to other states. Please do your own research there.

I will suggest that when applying that you get all the relevant course profiles etc from ALL the courses you have done as I got credits for a diploma I did before going back to start my physic degree which covered a few credit points.

If there are any deficiencies that do not seem straight forward to cover, I would strongly suggest going for the PLAN service. It is a tad expensive but the time it will save you is immeasurable. My PLAN advisor was excellent and answered all my questions really quickly. Also the cost includes a re-evaluation once you've completed all your deficiencies.

I also suggest this facebook page: FCCPT Rule Changes and Updates, for further insight.

Good luck. It isn't a fast process by any means but it is not impossible either!
    Hello, Can you explain me what is PLAN service ? I didn't get it.

[FONT=Times New Roman]MPT(Cardiopulmonary)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

PLAN is a service provided by FCCPT. Essentially it is a 6 months service that gains you access to a consultant to find relevant courses accepted by FCCPT to cover any deficiencies found in your initial evaluation, if there are any, and then it covers the cost of a re-evaluation. Go have a look at their website and it will explain it further including pricing. Hope that helps.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Minneapolis, US
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thumbs up Re: UK educated Physiotherapist wanting to work in USA

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaPhysio View Post
    PLAN is a service provided by FCCPT. Essentially it is a 6 months service that gains you access to a consultant to find relevant courses accepted by FCCPT to cover any deficiencies found in your initial evaluation, if there are any, and then it covers the cost of a re-evaluation. Go have a look at their website and it will explain it further including pricing. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for enlighten me. I will go through it.

[FONT=Times New Roman]MPT(Cardiopulmonary)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]