Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Working in Switzerland

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Just wondered if ayone could give some help/advice about working in Switzerland? I am a UK trained physio and have been working for two years in the NHS. I really want to go and work in switzerland for a year. Has anyone been through the registration process? How did you find the language barrier? I speak basic French which I will improve before going, but do you have to do a language test to get registered?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Working in Switzerland

You have to have your qualifications approved by the swiss physio society; it used to be done by the red cross I think but has changed since I did it. They compare hours done etc during undergraduate courses. The old physio diploma years ago was enough, I haven't met anyone recently "new" here. There are basically enough physios in switzerland now but it may be possible to get jobs in big institutions/ hospitals. They may also have "contingents" for work permits that you need to work in switzerland. If you already know where you want to be try directly writing to hospitals /clinics in the area. Years ago one could get away with basic french on the french side and basic german on the german side and improve as fast as possible. I doubt if that approach would work anymore. Without language you can't treat patients! You also can't understand team meetings and generally whats going on. Although some people speak english the caseloads in switzerland in most hospitals include turkish, albanian, ex jugoslavian, spanish, portuguese, italian patients. After a year here you'd just be getting into the language nicely. Shame to go then! I've worked in all sorts of different places in german speaking switzerland and am now selfemployed. Get in touch with me if you want any more information.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Spain
    Current Location
    Zurich
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

I am a spanish looking for a job in the german part of switzerland. I have been looking for information for some days and I recommend you to ask about your particular case in the Red Cross: [email protected]. I guess, they will tell you that you need to send them your translated diplomas in order to have your studies recognized.
    I also have heard that you need to do an exam to prove your level of French/german/italian and once you have it aproved, send it with your diplomas to the RC.

Be strong, Switzerland is a hard place to live...

Good luck!!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Italy
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi.

What about the salary in Switzerland?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Netherlands
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Newcomers in a hospital earn about 5'200 SFr/4 weeks vacation (5 when you'r over 50). I haven't got a clue how much that is in pounds. Please be aware of the fact that living in Sw. is very expensive (rents) though I have been told that UK is about the same
    cheers, Pieter (in Switzerland)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    5200 Swiss Francs are about 3400 British Pounds, 5400 $US, 7100 $NZ.
    XE: (CHF/USD) Switzerland Francs to United States Dollars Rate

Presume that's monthly salary, 40hrs/week.
    How much tax will be taken off?

That's massive or am I mistaken????

Regards,Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Netherlands
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

that would be a 42 hr week
    taxes: depends on which "kanton" (province) you're working. think about 20% but don't underestimate rent, insurances, health care!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Brisbane
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi, I am an Australian Physio looking to work in Switzerland towards the end of next year and just wanted to clarify - is the best option to contact Red Cross or the Swiss Physio Society?

Thanks!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Germany
    Current Location
    Berlin
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Beautiful country, but the cost of living in Switzerland is extemely high...

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I am writing on behalf of a friend of mine who is based in Switzerland (zurich) and is looking to employ a full time sports physiotherapist. What is the best way to go about this - any useful links or contacts etc.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    leeds
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    sorry I noticed it has been a while since this post but I am hoping you might be able to help me.
    Are you still in Switzerland? I want to work in Switzerland but am not sure how likely it is for me to find a job/
    I am German and have an english physio degree plus 1 years of NHS work experiance.

It would be great to hear from you!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
    sorry I noticed it has been a while since this post but I am hoping you might be able to help me.
    Are you still in Switzerland? I want to work in Switzerland but am not sure how likely it is for me to find a job/
    I am German and have an english physio degree plus 1 years of NHS work experiance.

It would be great to hear from you!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi there. Yes I'm still here and living near Basel. The physio market here is possibly quite saturated and newly qualified swiss physios have problems with their first jobs, as far as I've heard. In privat practise you need at least a years experience if not more before the practise can employ you. All physio course here are also degrees now and I'm not sure how the degrees compare. My old English diploma course was fine many years ago and got SRK acceptance.. (Swiss Red Cross do it, or did it) We have loads of German physios here and if you would still live in Germany while working here in a hospital or rehab near the border it might be easier as a "Grenzgänger" How about contacting the swiss physio verband after looking at the website: physiothrapie, table de massage, matriels pour physiothrapeute, matriels mdical and asking for current information? Here it's still very "hands on" and although I'm no longer in contact with many NHS physios I think it's probably quite good working here compared to England. At the moment! bye the way the translation blurb if still there happened without my doing and I can't get rid of it !

Last edited by Judith Mollet; 23-10-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: my words were corrupted!