Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London, UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Mckenzie Method

I think most of us use McKenzie in some form. I don't feel there are any cons. It is a very useful assessment tool whether you believe the underlying theory or not. It also provide patients with a range of simple, home-based exercises that in most cases are effective in reducing discomfort resulting from mechanical and some discal issues.

Should you have an opportunity to take part A,B and or C then this would be a very useful investment of your $$. It's like building a toolbox or library. To be a great clinician you need a lot of tools

Aussie trained Physiotherapist living and working in London, UK.
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Member of the CSP
    Member of Physio First (Chartered Physio's in Private Practice)
    Member Australian Physiotherapy Association
    Founder Physiobase.com 1996 | PhysioBob.com | This Forum | The PhysioLive Network | Physiosure |
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

My goal has always to be to get the global physiotherapy community talking & exchanging ideas on an open platform
    Importantly to help clients to be empowered and seek a proactive & preventative approach to health
    To actively seek to develop a sustainable alternative to the evils of Private Medical Care / Insurance

Follow Me on Twitter

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Mckenzie Method

of course there are cons. all approaches have cons. in the case of the mckenzie method the con is limited adaptability. it is a narrow focus that lacks many tools. when it doesn't work, often times it suggests no where to go.

on the other hand, when it works it works very well. more people should be familiar with the method. however, to focus only on the mckenzie method is dangerous. even their own research shows that maybe 50% of people respond well to their treatment when they have low back pain. what about the rest?