Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Lower Crossed Syndrome?

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    If a person has less then 0 degrees dorsiflexion in one foot, can this result in Lower Crossed Syndrome? I am quite certain that I have this problem.

Importantly, what can be done about it? Besides the obvious -- improved dorsiflexion -- everything I try causes more muscular problems. There are certain muscles that I need to activate, but simply cannot due to poor ROM. The ROM is impinged by anterolateral tissue which I am seeing an orthopaedic surgeon about, but am struggling with basic tasks in the meantime.

Anything I try; stretch, exercise, rest, etc. provides no relief.

Similar Threads:

junior_physiotherapist

Lightbulb Re: Lower Crossed Syndrome?

Hallo,

Well, for proper aid ,we need full assessment.

Meanwhile, the end feel of your ROM is............,or if there is sclerosis,bony or muscular deformity.

In case of Lower Crossed Syndrome:

Muscles that shorten
    Iliopsoas,
    Tensor Fascia Lata
    Rectus femoris
    Hip Adductors

Muscles that Weaken:
    Abdominals,
    Glutesu Mazimus
    Gluteus Medius
    Multifidus and Pelvic Floor

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    australia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Lower Crossed Syndrome?

interested in a few things related to your concerns.
    Have you injured your foot?,
    You mentioned "relief" , this suggests you are experiencing pain, is this so?
    If so , where?
    For how long?

The pieces on this "syndrome" you mentioned that I have googled so far are written in a style suggestive of poor understanding of neuroanatomy/physiology, can you offer a source, with good reasoning, that describes this ?
    Cheers

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

The original injury was an inversion spain in July 2007. I have not been able to put my foot into dorsiflexion for over a year. I have had 4 operations after the first one was a complete disaster. The next 3 have slowly improved matters. 1) an arthroscopic debridement of the anterior and anteromedial area of the talar joint 2) removal of anteromedial bone spur 3) removal of four screws installed in the first operation

On each occasion, something was impinging, was removed, only to find another thing impinging -- usually by me in the face of sceptical doctors (I am quite angry about this). I now have anterolateral tissue impingement, particularly in the lateral gutter. I am quite confident that this is the last remaining problem. I cannot have it treated at the moment since a doctor left a suture in from my previous operation accidentally so I am battling infection. A surgeon removed part of it, but I am sure there is more in there.

I cannot achieve any eversion or dorsiflexion. This has caused a muscle imbalance and atrophying throughout my entire body, particularly the right side -- up to my thoracic spine. I have two areas of specific pain along my lumbar and thoracic spine since there is pressure that is usually supported by muscles. My erector spinae are hypertonic. I have weakened abdominal muscles and anterior pelvic tilt. I have difficulty breathing due to atrophy.

This hypertonia is incredibly painful and cannot be relieved -- at least I have tried and failed. It is also quite scary when I have a bad breathing day.

I desperately need to reactivate the muscles that have not been active for a long time now. I need to bend my ankle joint in a normal manner.

Any tips?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    namebia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Lower Crossed Syndrome?

Hi Friend,
    I agree with the fact that problems in foot can cause biomechanical and functional alterations of joints and areas proximally.your lumbar and thoracic area pain may be related to it.alterations in posture ,gait etc might be putting strain in proximal areas.since you are suggesting that your abdominals are weak and pelvis is anteriorlt tilted.i wonder how much we can attribute it to your foot problem.the trunk musce and posture changes may not be directly related to your foot problem.
    please tell us about
    your job
    your job requirements
    current status of employement
    your current activity level
    your past activity level
    are you involved in any physical exercies-present/past

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello linbin,
    At the time of my injury I was playing professional squash. I would train with a former Australian Commowealth Games team captain. I even beat him a couple of times! I would do several 2-4 hour training sessions per week. I was extremely fit. My problems developed soon after my injury even though I continued my squash training. This is why I am sure that it is due to my injury and not due to any disuse problems.

I am a computer scientist and university lecturer and at the moment, I am totally inactive. I wish I could do something about it, but I can't. If I try to do any physical activity, I get severe muscle problems and pain caused by inhibition.

This is why I am certain that my problem is due to my ankle. I cannot perform dorsiflexion at all -- particularly with eversion. Trust me, if I could get back out there on the squash court, I would in a flash. I am normally extremely active -- this problem has been mismanaged by doctors. Indeed, it was I who finally found the correct diagnosis (anteromedial bone spur + anterolateral tissue impingement)

I wish to have the anterolateral joint compartment debrided but I am currently suffering an infection because a doctor left a suture in from my most recent surgery. I saw the doctor today who refused to treat me because she could not be sure there was a suture in there or that it was infected. This is despite the redness. So I went home, took some painkillers and dug around myself for vindication (I am used to doing crazy things like this now). The suture is now protruding from a wound. It has a knot in it. I have conclusive evidence that I am right (once again). Words cannot describe how angry I am about all this.

So now my hurdle is resolving this infection, so I can resolve my tissue impingement so I can resolve my muscle inhibition problems.

Thanks for the help -- I just wonder what I can do in the meantime -- I do feel like I have tried everything though.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    namebia
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Lower Crossed Syndrome?

hi friend
    if you wanna do some physical activity-i feel you can start with some upper extremity exercises and trunk exercises.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Zimbabwe
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

Must be terrible going through this but Linbin is right. Start on some physical activity now upper going down, may get some discomfort but dont go into pain. Work on what can be feasibly worked on. Should get something in the long run.

all the best

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I had a trapped superficial peroneal nerve just above the lateral malleolus. This caused a lot of the problems. I had a surgical decompression about 6 weeks ago. I need to work out how to reverse this muscle contracture, though I still cannot get very good dorsiflexion.