Current Location
    Sussex
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Treatment of Compression Fracture of Thoratic Spine T3-T7

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Last Thursday (29th), I went over the handlebars of my bike resulting in a compression fracture of the spine T3-7. It is a stable fracture. I was released from hospital on Sunday and have been at home wearing a ?thoratic-lumbar spine brace? ever since. .

I am struggling with Pain Managment (Cocodamol 30/500's, Diclofenac and Diazapam has been prescribed), but have an appointment with an orthapedic consultant next Thursday to check progress on repairing the fracture.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a recognised time frame for me to wear the brace (i.e. 8 weeks, 12 weeks ect)
    2. What, if any, complications are common for this injury (i am especially expecting rotation problems ect)
    3. When can I expect to begin being able to excersize (as sport is pretty much my life)
    4. What is the rehabilitation process (i.e. Physio excersizes) and what can I expect to recieve on the NHS and what if anything will I have to attempt to find the money to pay for privatley
    5. Is there anything I can do while immobilised to prevent further injury and maintain some level of fitness.

I may (stressing the may here) be able to go to an intensive rehabilitation centre as my family are services based. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Poland
    Current Location
    Poland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Treatment of Compression Fracture of Thoratic Spine T3-T7

hi
    Last Thursday (29th), I went over the handlebars of my bike resulting in a compression fracture of the spine T3-7. It is a stable fracture. I was released from hospital on Sunday and have been at home wearing a ?thoratic-lumbar spine brace? ever since. .

I am struggling with Pain Managment (Cocodamol 30/500's, Diclofenac and Diazapam has been prescribed), but have an appointment with an orthapedic consultant next Thursday to check progress on repairing the fracture.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a recognised time frame for me to wear the brace (i.e. 8 weeks, 12 weeks ect)
    it depends indyvidually on healing process,
    2. What, if any, complications are common for this injury (i am especially expecting rotation problems ect)dont know
    3. When can I expect to begin being able to excersize (as sport is pretty much my life)
    look no 1, rest of your body can exercise
    4. What is the rehabilitation process (i.e. Physio excersizes) and what can I expect to recieve on the NHS and what if anything will I have to attempt to find the money to pay for privatley
    im not sure, but should gfet NHS physio
    5. Is there anything I can do while immobilised to prevent further injury and maintain some level of fitness.
    look no 3, magnetic field therapy is used to speed up healing process

I may (stressing the may here) be able to go to an intensive rehabilitation centre as my family are services based. Is this a good idea?
    good idea

Your orthpeadic surgeon should be able based on tthe tests and Xrays,Wikipedia reference-linkMRI tell the time frame of wearing the brace or moving your back.
    take care
    Jarek
    Fizjomanual I Fizjosport - Start

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Hong Kong
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Treatment of Compression Fracture of Thoratic Spine T3-T7

Hi LucyLou,
    As long as the spine fracture is stable as diagnosed, you will be fine with the brace. The vertebrae would usually heal up at around 16 weeks. Unless your surgeon's advice, you are safe to move your neck, sholulder and lumbar spine. I haven't had a chance to see your X-ray or Wikipedia reference-linkMRI, otherwise, some sort of thoracic gentle movement could also be done. Let's see what your surgeon tells you.

Take care.