Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
    mageshanand

abdominal muscle strenthening for InterVertebralDiscProlapse

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    hi guys, for clients with IVDP( postero lateral), should we teach Mckenzies exercies or abdominal strenthening, cos it makes sense to both, i was wondering if we would teach Mckenzies exercises for those patients who are in the recovery state cos that would be the time we would want the scar of annulus fibroses to heal in a shortened state for more stability, and abdominal strenthening at a later stage to straighten out the spine, so that there would be more space for the spinal cord and related structures in a broader canal, if this is correct , then approximately how long does it take for the annulus to heal,waiting for your replies, bye, thanks , ..

Similar Threads:

Gajba

Re: abdominal muscle strenthening for InterVertebralDiscProl

According to McKenzie you need to check EIL - 10 reps, then try FIL 10 reps. After that turn your patient again in prone position and when he try extension he must not feel pain (sign of deragement). Then you can start with abdominal ex but always finish with 10 extension in lying (EIL). Regards

mageshanand

Re: hi

hi thanks for your reply, but i could'nt understand what this EIL and FIL is , could you please tell me what that is,

Matrix Level Physio Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

EIL - extension in Lying
    FIL - flexion in lying

hillfiend

I doubt disc injuries or annular tear will ever 'heal'. It may become asymptomatic. I don't see any reason that stops you from carrying out overlapping treatments (i.e. mechanical therapy+strengthening). Patient response dictates our management direction.