Denmark
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Back-problems most likely due to heavy computer usage

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hey, I am an 18 year old guy from Denmark. I have used the computer a lot the past 5 years, and now I experiencing back problems and general tightness in my shoulders and back.

I think the problem is due to me using the computer heavily coupled with the fact that I developed near sightness in this period. This lead to me getting my eyes closer and closer to the screen, which probably made me sitting position horrible.

When the pain was too much I stopped using the computer as much as I usually did (8 hours a day then, now about 30 min). Yet I am still suffering from back pains and tightness even though I haven't played on the computer for a month, done several strech-out exercises and went to a physiotherapist the problem still hasn't gotten any noticeable better.

Everytime I wake up in the morning I feel like my muscles have contracted in my back. When I sit at school I usually need to adjust my sitting position regularly, and my back is sometimes hurting.

All the training exercises and programs I got from my physiotherapist haven't really helped. I feel like the people around me are too incompetent to help me, and that I stand alone with this back problem which is driving me crazy

Does anyone have any suggestions, exercises or anything similar to help this back problem? I must add that I am extremely stiff in my legs and back, which is probably one of the reasons I have so many pains, but still the exercises I perform doesn't really help out.

- Someone who feels that noone have been able to help him with this problem.

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Switzerland
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Back-problems most likely due to heavy computer usage

OK, you are 18 and have been using the computer alot for 5 years. ( hours a day!) Was that for school or because you were gaming on and of-line for over-long hours and leading an extreme "couch potato" life? (sorry, have a son that sits for hours in front of the computer and his friends do similar, I have to ask you )
    Did you go to a doctor for a check up with your problem before you went to a physiotherapist? Have you been given the OK that you have probably not got any serious back problems/ joint disease etc etc?? Was it diagnosed as anything more than a postural problem?
    There is not enough information in your letter to give any specific advice about your back exercises. For someone forced to use the computer for a living of course there are many issues to consider including posture at work and organizing work place.
    I suspect that apart from having your eyes tested you should have a critical look at your life style. Are you having enough physical exercise????? Do you do any sports? cycle? swim? Are you overweight? Be honest with yourself. Did you explain to the physio that you thought the regime she gave you wasn't working? Is everyone around you incompetent ? It can happen that somone gets lots of conflicting advice and that confuses.
    So: 1.check out with doctor that it's nothing to "worry" about, bearing in mind what rest of your family may or may not have for back/ joint problems
    2.Eyes tested if not already
    3.improval of posture at computer /less computer hours middle-long term if it's not essential.
    4. enough suitable physical exercise throughout the week to get your general fitness improved. This doesn't just involve physio exercise but basic common sense. If you have been sedentry too long don't expect to improve really fast, your body needs time to adjust and get used to more activity, gettting less stiff etc.
    If you have any new news to add or specifics ask again
    regards JM

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Denmark
    Current Location
    Denmark
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

It was due to gaming. I have never been overweight; my BMI is just around 20-19. I have played soccer for 6 years when i was between 9 and 15, and from 15-17 I have worked out in my local gym. I don't have any joint diseases or anything similar.

I haven't been gaming for about a month now, mainly due to the increasing pain in my back. I stopped runing about 6 months ago when I got severe pain in my back every time I did it.

Despite all this, and combined with me performing the exercises given to me daily, I still have stiffness and pain in my back constantly.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

From the information that you just listed,
    Could it be that you have not changed the source of your irritation? While working at the computer is the activity that you associate the most with your Sx's, your source of irritation may be simpler than that. Prolonged sitting or Prolong inactivity of any kind is a very common source of pain generation especially in spinal problems.

Your Sx of fidgeting in the chair is your first indication that you have been sitting too long. Should you find yourself fidgeting. Try not to stay sitting. When possible stand do some stretching and then return to sitting if needed. The whole process shouldn't take much longer that a minute or 2. If you can address you Sx before they get to the point you have to do something, there is a good chance that it will settle to base line in a short period of time.

Lastly, consider how long this problem has had time to take root. It's onset sound insidious. I suspect that it's resolution will take quite a while.

Hope that helps

OPI

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi,
    Maybe a mere exercise given by a physio is not enough to pinpoint your back pain problem, why not try 2nd or 3rd opinion from other physio who on my own experience gave me prescribed exercise concentrating on the affected area with a combination of massages...really it works on me..why don't you make a try too.

[B][I][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.summitphysio.com.au/"]summit physiotherapy[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]