Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 48, Male, Presenting Problem Since: 4 months, Symptom Behaviour: remaining constant, Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): during the day, Aggravating Factors:: standing up, Easing Factors:: sitting down, No Investigations, No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: no

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Left

Thigh, Hamstrings - Posterior - Left

Knee - Posterior - Left

Calf, Achilles - Posterior - Left

4 months of pain in leg, worse when standing up, feel better when sitting down, pain changes location

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Hi,

for the last 4 months I had this pain in my left leg, that starts in my left glute, and keeps changing location, sometimes in the hip, sometimes in the calf, sometimes on the back of thigh, but most of the times on the hip.

I'm 48 years old, I'm a postman, I walk a lot, and I run about twice a week, about 10 miles every run. The pain started in June, while I was walking during my shift at work. It become so bad that after a few days I had to ask to be put in a non walking position at work, because of the pain and also walking with a limp.

I rang my doctor, but because of covid, I couldn't go to his office, so after a 5 minutes phone chat, his diagnose was sciatica. I was given a set of 3 exercises to do 3 times a day, but it hasn't helped at all. I also rang a physiotherapist, that also didn't coudlnt see me in person, and he thought it was something to do with my hip. I was given another set of exercises that also didn't help at all.

The pain changes, not only in location on the leg, but also in intensity, depending on the day. Some days the pain is very mild and can walk without a limp (few times, though), sometimes the pain is so intense I can barely stand up for more than 2 minutes.

The pain is worse when standing up, but is a little better when walking. Sometimes I time myself how long I can stand up before the pain get so bad and I need to sit down again. My personal best is about 5 minutes. Sleeping is ok most of the time, although sometimes I wake up because of the pain. Sitting down is how I feel better. Actually I can't feel the pain when driving my car. although getting in the car can be a problem somtimes when I have to put the left leg in the car.

The pain hasn't got better or worse. It just stays as painful as usual.

Any ideas what could that be ?

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 4 months of pain in leg, worse when standing up, feel better when sitting down, pain changes location

Hi Kazordon,

The symptoms you described are compatible with a nervous/low back problem. Have you noticed any loss of muscle force in your leg? Foot drop? Any changes in skin sensation?

However, other structures such as the hip joint may give similar symptoms.

I think that a visit to a health professional would help you.

Let us know how your situation evolves

Regards

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Leeds
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: 4 months of pain in leg, worse when standing up, feel better when sitting down, pain changes location

Quote Originally Posted by Guiydo View Post
    Hi Kazordon,

The symptoms you described are compatible with a nervous/low back problem. Have you noticed any loss of muscle force in your leg? Foot drop? Any changes in skin sensation?

However, other structures such as the hip joint may give similar symptoms.

I think that a visit to a health professional would help you.

Let us know how your situation evolves

Regards
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have already got assesed by two different health professionals, and none of them could help me. One said it was sciatica, and gave me a set of 3 exercises which didn't do anything. The other one, a physiotherapist, says it's a hip problem, but also couldn't help with his different set of exercises.

About this nervous/low back problem that you mention, would that be something easily treated, like exercises to strenghen muscle ? Or is it more complicated to fix ?

Thanks.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Italy
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Aircast Airselect Short Boot
    Hi Kazordon,

I don't think it is a problem of muscles to strengthen.
    As the hip exercises didn't work, it would be an option to work on your low back and see if specific movements make it better or worse . If so, then a specific posture and exercise program can be applied otherwise the problem should be searched somewhere else