Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    salthill01

New Zealand Registration in 8 weeks

Hi everyone,

I have just gained registration in New Zealand last week. The whole process from sending off my application to getting approval took 8 weeks. The new forms make it a lot easier for both the applying physiotherapist and the Registration official in New Zealand. The guidelines are very helpful as well. I am planning on going to New Zealand in June of this year. If anyone has any questions about the registration process or any queries please dont hesitate to ask and i will respond to you!! It is easier than people think if you dont get too bogged down and if you use the templates accordingly.

All the best
    Kevin

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: New Zealand Registration in 8 weeks

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi,

1)i wanted to know is it better to apply for registration before going there or i should apply after complition of my pgd which one is better????
    There are lots of threads in this forum confirming that the Indian Physio degree is not equivalent to the NZ one and therefore not accepted. It is very difficult for Indian Physios to obtain registration. You might have a better chance with a PgD or even better a MSc.

2) what are the current situation regarding jobs?? will i get job as a physio after complition of my pgd??
    The current situation is not good at all, especially in the bigger cities in musculoskeletal private practice. For a Physio with no work experience ... probably even worse. Unless you start hospital rotations, that might be easier, but I am not sure. But that's of course all given that you get a work permit.....

Still, nothing is impossible,
    never give up,
    good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi there...

In reply to james it is correct that the physiotherapy qualification obtained in India is not recognised by the physiotherapy board of New Zealand.... I am not sure but I think you would need to complete further study at the university to be able to obtain registration in NZ!

The job situation here is very poor and is now very competitive due to changes in ACC coverage for physiotherapy. If you have no experience in Musculoskeletal physiotherapy it would be very unlikey to be able to get a job here and as Fyzzio said you would probably be better off getting a rotational job in a local hospital although the job situation there is also poor. just of note is that the employer is required by NZ law to show evidence that they have given equal if not bias the NZ residents in application for the jobs before giving it to anyone from overseas!

Sorry to be a domsayer but the situ here is very bad and I know of many clinics which are closing due to the lack of referrals they are receiving......

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    india
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

which one is better to opt for NZ or UK ???

as i dnt hv any work experience i am planning to study Msc. in Uk or PGd in Nz i hv filled application forms for both but dont know where to go???

does any body know job situation in Uk?? i mean comparing with NZ

heyy kempo you didnt replied to my mail which i hv sent u from my yahoo id

[B][CENTER][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Never Let Student Die In Your Heart When It Dies You Want Remain A Doctor But You Will Be A Technician [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    the situation over there is just as bad as in NZ, if not worse.
    Since there is so many English, Irish and Scottish Physios that are coming to NZ. Although, if you follow this website closely, you will see that most of them start heading over to Australia, where the situation is much better.

Cheers,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi everyone,

Congrats kevin on getting the NZ resgistration.. Reading thro' everyone's replies and going thro' the NZ registration site , the whole process seems bit overwhelming to me as of now.. I am currently working in the US but looking at the NZ option as well. Its been almost 10yrs since I graduated from the PT schoool from India so wondering how to cross-reference my academic work, previous work-exp etc.in the "competencies" section? Do they really want to see whether one has done a research project as proof of "evidence based practice"?

Is anyone out there who's qualified from India and gained NZ registration? Its really sad that they want Indian physios to have either studies in NZ or have UK registration to be eligible to apply for NZ registration.. They don't consider US registration! I am having second thoughts about this whole process after reading about the Job market in NZ.. Is it really tough for someone with 8-9 yrs of work exp to get a job in Physio clinic in NZ?

Any inputs on the above subject are appreciated!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi PN Cool

Yes things are pretty tough here for jobs. With 10 ears experience behind you would be in a better position than if you were a new grad. However there are few jobs available in either the public or private sectors. I would suggest you try to tee up a job before coming here. Based on that you may want to weigh up whether or not it is worth your while currently applying for registration in NZ.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi pncool,
    you might have seen me writing about my previous colleague who has got an Indian degree and NZ registration. So let me just tell you what I heard from her:
    Research: the research projects as done under the Indian degree are in no way comparative to the NZ ones, meaning that their standard is below the NZ one. Therefore they are generally not accepted. You need to send in your project, as every application is assessed per se and the project as you have done it, might actually be at the required standard. Who knows? However, as your degree has been completed a while ago, send in all the extra evidence of research or research related projects you have undertaken in the last 8 - 9 years as well. This might proove your point of meeting their criteria.

USA: In the states, our job is done by two different professions - the Physical Therapists and the Respiratory Technicians. I know from someone else, that she didn't get registration as her education and work experience did not meet the competencies for the Cardio-respiratory area and she had to complete some extra study. Therefore, I believe that generally work in the US is accepted for the Musculoskeletal and Neuro competencies.

Regards,
    Andrea

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for the input. I agree that in the US most physios work in the Musculoskeletal and Neurological PT areas and not so much in Cardio-respiratory.. But as a Physio in India we do work in that area as well both in Acute as well Cardio-resp rehabilitation. I have 5 yrs of work-exp in India post graduation, so I assume that can be added to show competency in the Cardio-respiratory.

I read in the FAQ's that a critical review of journal articles can also be added to show inclination towards evidence based research. Is that true? Just a thought, how many physios are really doing hard-core research while working in the clinical area? I am bit unclear on what exactly the NZ board is looking for in the "Research area" ?

pncool.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    in regards to cardio: my friend told me that indeed you do work in the cardiopulmonary area in India, but that treatments are following pre-prescribed protocols and are not individually tailored. In ICU, it was the doctors making the decisions on Physio treatment, rather than the Physios basing their input on clinical analysis. But that might have changed or be different for your work environment.

in regards to your research question: I'm not 100% sure, but if it is the same for all the competencies then you have to submit evidence for 2 things:
    1) that you had sufficient undergraduate training in the area
    2) that you continue to meet the competency through work or professional development

So, for the second point it does not need to be actual work in the research sector, but could be doing a research project, an evidence-based presentation, a critical literature review, an audit, etc.. Just have a look what the points in this competency are and what you have done to meet them.

At least this is my understanding. If you are not sure, you might like to call the Board and ask them directly. My friend called them on numerous occasions and said that they were incredibly helpful over the phone and gave good advise.

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Andrea,

Thanks again! Your threads have helped me to put the whole pic in the perspective. I did call up NZ board to find out whether I will be eligible to apply for NZ registration if I have a UK registration but they said that I should have work exp in the UK too.. I am looking to do a course in NZ and then apply for registration. Can you suggest to me some course in AUT which might help? I saw that they have a PG dip in Rehab for 60 points, is it a good one? Any idea what will be the duration of the course?

The board also mentioned that since I have graduated 10yrs back I can show competencies in different areas thro' my work exp, CME courses and cross reference them with my co-workers or supervisors. I don't have to submit my curriculum.

Pncool.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi pncool,
    are you talking courses or papers?

If you go through AUT, you are basically enrolling for a university paper.
    First of all you need to obtain postgraduate registration:
    The Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand > Postgraduate Registration for Overseas Qualified Physiotherapists
    The Pg Dip HSc Rehab is 120 points: you need to do three of the 20 pts. papers of the Pg Cert in HSc Rehab programme and one other 60 pts. paper. See here:
    Rehabilitation - AUT University

I believe, if studying full time, you might be able to do 4 papers in a year. But the cost is astrological.
    Fees for international students - AUT University
    http://www.aut.ac.nz/__data/assets/p...ional-Fees.pdf
    You also need to do an IELTS and have you checked the visa/ permit situation?

Or do you just want to do a course?
    Then check out the NZSP site. I have no idea whether you need registration or anything else for that.
    National Calendar : NZ Society of Physiotherapists

Hope this helps,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Fyzzio,

Thanks for the links.. Here is what the NZ physio registration website says for eligibility criteria for Physios qualified in India.

1. Evidence of successful completion of a formal course of university level physiotherapy study in addition to their physiotherapy qualification(s) gained in India. This formal study must be completed during the three years immediately prior to submitting an application for registration in New Zealand. The formal study could include Certificates of Proficiency, a Graduate Certificate, a Graduate Diploma, a Post Graduate Diploma or a Masters. This formal course of study must be completed in New Zealand, Australia, Canada or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland),

So I am looking to do a short-term course. I believe the link for the courses which you had sent are weekend courses? My questions on the above- 1) Are certificate of proficiency same as a CME course? 2) Where can I do a graduate certificate/ graduate diploma course? 3) The post graduate diploma or a Masters is a UNI course right?

Thanks again for your inputs.

pncool.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi PNcool

My understanding is:

*that a certificate of proficiency refers to the completion of a university paper as part of a larger degree or diploma but you can get this when you don't go on to complete the whole qualification - I think this is at they University's discretion so you would need to check that the University will agree to certify you. It is an opt out clause so then if you get the certificate of proficiency you may not be able to go on and add this to a qualification at a later date. Note the board is saying certificates (plural) of proficiency so the question may be how many do you need to complete in a physiotherapy qualification in order to meet the boards requirements.

*Formal study implies university education so no, short courses don't count.

Hope I have this right and I hope this helps

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi gcoe,

Thanks! I will check with the UNI to find out more about this.. From your reply I understand this is similar to a Non-degree course for some credits ( points) which you could take anytime and those credits can be added to a full degree course if you wish to do so later. Any idea if such a course can be joined in the middle of the year? I know that UNI semester starts from 1st March but I believe that the papers are distributed over a period of one year in 4 semesters?

pncool.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi pncool

Not quite sure what you are saying in the first half of your message - just check you understand my response as it sounds a bit contradictory. And if I were you I would be very clear with the board about what they will and won't accept as you sound like you are going for the absolute minimum you can get away with.

As for courses both Otago Uni and AUT offer courses in semesters and so therefore you can usually enrol half way through the year for the second semester. Just check on their websites for courses that may interest you. You would enrol in a Post grad cert, post grad dip or Masters so would have to apply formally for the course - includes evidence of your previous degree amongst other things they require for an overseas students. So this will involve a bit of work. You would then take if form there:

Otago:

School of Physiotherapy

AUT:

School of Physiotherapy

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

... and those credits can be added to a full degree course if you wish to do so later.
    Hi pncool,
    I agree with gcoe. It's not going to be that easy.
    As I understand: you enroll at University for a "programm" rather than just a single paper.
    E.g.: You enroll for Post grad Certificate and start with 2 papers. You can then put the programme on hold (I cannot remember for how long this is possible) and either discontinue or re-start some time later. Only in this case, your credits would remain and count towards the certificate (or diploma if you want to go that way).

However, best is really to:
    A) ask the Board what they understand you need to do
    B) contact the Universities to check what they are able to offer in your particular case

Cheers,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks Fyzzio & GCOE. I will find out from the Univ about the programs. I would be happy to undertake a comprehensive course which will add on to my clinical knowledge as well.

Do you all know of any Physio from India who has undertaken course in NZ and then got the registration?

pncool.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi pncool,
    the NZ Ministry of Health/Manatu Hauroa has just published the "Summary results from the 2009 Health Workforce Annual Survey" for the Physiotherapist Workforce.
    In table 3 : Qualification country of active physiotherapists, 2009 it says:

India: 4

The total of returned surveys in this section was 2456.

So, I guess, your chances to find someone who has done this successfully before, are slim.
    God luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of England
    Current Location
    England
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

HiYa!!! Just slowly and painfully trawling through the NZ application form and glad to hear that there are success story's out there! I wondered if anyone out there who has been specialised in one area for more than the 10 years and therefore lacking the "hands on" experience for example in the Respiratory! What happens then. As lucky or not so lucky my past hospital I worked in is going to help me gain some work experince in Neurology however everyone seems a little reluctant to help out in the Respiratory department. So although I've recently managed to work part time locum and have some basic hands on physiotherapy and have a reference to confirm this, But is it enough! My time on ITU only just falls within the past ten years and the board said they would accept it but it would not be a strong piece of evidence. So I don't know a one day refresher course maybe? Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    southampton
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

what type of visa have people got if they want to work for a couple of years out in NZ? and is it just the visa and registration you need? or is there a governing body you have to join?thanks
    lisa

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    the registration gives you permission to apply for a license.
    The license is called "Annual practising certificate" and costs about $250,- per annum. You are not able to work without it.
    The Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand > Annual Practising Certificate
    You have to collect professional development information in a portfolio/logbook, which runs on a 3 year cycle. The portfolio is required for re-certification and will occasionally be checked by the Physioboard.

You can become a member of the NZ Society of Physiotherapists, which I would highly recommend (this includes liability insurance), but this is not compulsory.
    : NZ Society of Physiotherapists

Visa, or better permits depends on your age, etc. See here:
    Working in New Zealand

Hope this helps,
    regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    southampton
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

thank you thats really helpful, are u out ther working at the moment? the cost does add up doesnt it! not sure what visa i want as just want to work for a few years like a holiday working visa in oz.

how are u finding the job market out there?
    lisa

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    I have been in NZ for more than 10 years and always had a job.
    Am lucky that my employer pays for the APC.

Generally, as you can also read in other threads, since the latest changes in November 2009, the job situation is really bad.
    Have heard that even in "not so desirable" areas, there is currently up to 50 people applying for 1 new grad rotational position, of which ~80% are Physios with massive amounts of experience, who cannot get jobs in private practices after being made redundant ...

Sorry, looks quite grim here ....

Regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi

Fyzzio is absolutely right. Don't even consider coming here unless you can land a job in advance or just want a holiday. I don't think things will get better for quite some time. The private practice market has really been squeezed by the accident and injury insurance changes and the current conservative government is cutting back on hospital budgets.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi guys,

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this topic so far it has been extremely helpful! Like alot of you I am also trying to get started on the application, I just have a quick question i need to clarify in relation to the clinical hours profile, does this need to be provided by the university or do we prepare our own and get it validated by the university? What have other people done? Also, has anyone had any trouble getting a copy of their course curriculum from their university?

Many Than

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast