Welcome to the Online Physio Forum.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    salthill01

New Zealand Registration in 8 weeks

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi everyone,

I have just gained registration in New Zealand last week. The whole process from sending off my application to getting approval took 8 weeks. The new forms make it a lot easier for both the applying physiotherapist and the Registration official in New Zealand. The guidelines are very helpful as well. I am planning on going to New Zealand in June of this year. If anyone has any questions about the registration process or any queries please dont hesitate to ask and i will respond to you!! It is easier than people think if you dont get too bogged down and if you use the templates accordingly.

All the best
    Kevin

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    southampton
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: New Zealand Registration in 8 weeks

congratulations!!

did you just list the peices of evidence in the template in bullet point form or write it out eg "appendix 1 reflection shows i am able to.... "and be specific to each sub part.

hope that makes sense, thanks in advance!
    lisa

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi all

This doesn't refer to registration, however for those seeking work in NZ currently it is worth noting that jobs are quite scarce. With the recent changes in our compensation system private practices are cutting back on available jobs. Hospitals are also tighter with jobs as many there has been some cutting of the District Hospital Board budgets. In addition staff with 2+ years experience are staying in their jobs longer as they are delaying going to the UK for their overseas experience.

So if you are getting or got registration and want to work here, you may want think about landing a job before leaving for NZ.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gcoe For This Useful Post:

piyadhote (25-09-2016)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks gcoe. Well said.

May I also remind people that the Irish and Scottish Physio degrees are nearly identical to the NZ ones, so they can really get in on their undergraduate education and their syllabus is the evidence.

Congratulations, Kevin!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyzzio For This Useful Post:

piyadhote (25-09-2016)

salthill01

Hi lisa

in the first section of the template (undergraduate evidence) i just listed the modules i had done that were relevant to the competencies in bullet point form, i also had additional pieces of evidence such as student inservices or essays/projects from college. I didnt expand on them as such, i just listed them and referenced them , so i guess it was up to the Physio board to look at them and see if they were relevant to the competency or not.
    In the middle section (Work experience), i listed particular things i had done at work...eg attending MDT meetings, showing cultural sensitivity, doing statistics, using outcome measure, seeing particular injuries and using particular techniques to prove my competeny. Some bits i would only write a line or two, other bits i would write a small paragraphy, maybe 4 or 5 lines is enough.
    Again in the final section (Evidence of CPD, etc), i just listed the courses, CPD, etc that were relevant to the particular competency, referenced them and then maybe wrote like one line about each, but not very much at all. Remember that you dont need to show evidence for EVERY component of the competeny, just some of them. And youre only allowed provide 3-5 pieces of evidence...so you wont be able to prove that your competent in each component so dont worry!!!!! (sorry a lot of jargon there).

Best of luck with the form, and any other questions ill be glad to reply to!!

Kevin

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Tauranga
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Kevin,

I'm just starting out with the registration process and have some of the evidence, and read the guidelines but am still a little confused as to the lay out. Did you write an essay style answer to each competency and then reference your evidence within the essay or did you bullet point in relation to each component of the competency? Would be very grateful for any advice as not sure where to start with the templates.

Many thanks,
    Katie

salthill01

Hi Katie

I didnt write an essay style answer for each competency.
    In the first section of the template i listed the modules i did in university that were relevant to the competency you are doing. (A lot of these modules will be used for all the other competencies as well, so dont worr yif you feel like you are repeating yourself). I also referenced by student clinical placements assessment forms ( i didnt expand on them but you can say something like....Clinical Placement St., Josephs hospital demonstrated my CVP skills as it was done in an ICU setting...or something like that).
    In this section you would also reference essays, college projects u did in Uni - you dont need to write about them...just reference them and then the NZ reg official will look them up.

Section two is pretty much the same...except you give examples from your working experience.. Eg. i used a MWM to treat an ankle sprain..this demonstrated proficiency in manual therapy...etc. And you reference this by saying refer to Validation of Work History written by Joe Bloggs (Physio).

Section 3 then you just list off your CPD, courses, inservices and conferences that are relevant to the competency. Maybe write a sentence just to expand on how it was relevant and remember to reference it and provide a fully certified copy of the certificate you received.

Remember you can only provide 3 - 5 pieces of evidence so you are NOT expected to demonstrate proficiency in each and every component of the competency...this would be really hard. The components are only given as a guideline as to how to fulfil the competency, it doesnt mean you have to prove them all!!!!!

I hope this helps and best of luck!
    Kevin

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Scotland
    Current Location
    Liverpool, England
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey Kevin!
    Well done on your registration!
    Thanks for all your tips, they are really helpful!

Just had a wee query:
    I've been trying to figure out about how much supporting evidence we have to provide: did you get confirmation from anyone/anywhere about not having to provide supporting evid for all of the components for each template for each competency?

Iv checked the guidance notes and board's website about this but cant see anything that confirms if we have to do this.
    Im just confused about whether or not to address all of the components for each template?

looking forward to hearing from you

Cheers

MaryAnne.

salthill01

Hi MaryAnne

Yeah i had the same queries as yourself when i was filling it out, whether i had to provide evidence for each component or not (which would take ages!!)
    So i ran the Physio Board in NZ (cant remember their number but its on the website) and i spoke to someone on the registration board there. They comfimed, to my great relief, that you only need to provide 3-5 pieces of evidence to show your competence in each competency. She specifically said that you dont need to show evidence for each component! The components are just given to you by the NZ physio board as examples of how you can show proficiency in the competency as a whole.

Hope this helps. If youre still unsure, just ring them. They are very nice and will explain the process for you. Just have your questions ready at hand for them

Best of luck
    Kevin

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for the info Kevin.
    And thanks for the assistance

[url=http://www.aica.edu.au]Gold Coast College[/url]

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NSW
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear Kevin,

You are a star!! Well done on completing it!!

Just a quick question....If we have paperwork such as physio assessment sheets/goal setting sheets , do we have to get them signed by the senior physio/physio who also uses them to verify it or is it just enough to reference them e.g I have used this assessment form for blah blah blah.... Hope that makes sense???

Thanks matey,
    Claire x
    Additional Comment I forgot:
    Oh and did you send in your dissertation as evidence???? Thanks again x

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NSW
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Oh and IST sessions...obviuosly i have moved on from alot of the hospitals I had them at and now live in Oz so not sure how I would get them all verified!!??

salthill01

Hi Claire

Are you talking about patient assessment forms or assessment forms you were assessed on as a student?? If u mean patient assessment forms then you dont need to get them signed...but i dont think you would need to send them in either (i didnt send any, there were too many)!!!
    If youre talking about student assessment forms then yes definately you need them signed!!
    I sent in my dissertation alright, but you have to get each page stamped by your university and the front page dated and signed by a memeber of staff (very important to do this or they will send it back!)

dont send any inservices unless there are signed and dated by a senior physio who was in attendance at the inservice!! They will only send them back to you and delay the registration process further. If its too much trouble/hassle to get them signed and dated then dont send them in, use something else as evidence, eg. course certificates, etc.

Hope this helps
    Kevin

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NSW
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

AWesome thank-you!!

Might be a little difficult to get my two IST signed as I am now living in Oz!!! THanks so much for replying, I will see what I can do about my dissertation, it is still in the UK with my mum and I will see if she can go in for me to Uni and get it signed!!

I qualified in 2000, so that is over 10 years ago and I don't have any of my student assessment forms anymore and the Uni does not keep them, so I am just doing lots of reflective practice and using PDP from my junior and senior positions.

I think I will call the board as I am wondering if I git a lawyer to sign the IST/dissertation, they might accept it is as a TRUE copy???????? Heres hoping!!!

Oh and one more question, do you have any advice about the treaty of waitangi reflective practice?

Hope you have a fantastic time in NZ it truly is a beautiful country!!

Thanks again,

Claire xx

salthill01

Hi Claire

Just in relation to the Treaty of Waitangi, you just have to write a reflective statement about the treaty. Its very east, u just fill out the template they have for it, its about a page long! You just summarise what you think the treaty means, its very easy!
    As with the other questions about the lawyer certifying the documents, u should just ring the physio board in wellington, their number is on the NZ Physio website, they are very helpful and will answer all your questions!!

The very best of luck!!!
    PS: what part of Oz are you in?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NSW
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks so much for that!! Will do!!

I am living in Sydney, NSW,

Take Care and thank-you x

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on getting your registration!! It must feel great to have that all sorted out and ready for a new adventure!! I have to say a big thank you for replying in soo much detail about some tips on the process.

Im still not entirely sure about the supporting evidence though and getting things signed and dated. For some of my evidence i was thinking of using is from my university placements such as the placements forms, observed assessments with patients, reflection cycles etc....as this was a couple of years ago now i dont think i can get them signed and some would be photocopies too. What did you do for your evidence? did you get all of your pieces signed and dated? Does the date need to be relevant to the time of when it was done or could it be now? Im just worried about spending lots of time on it and then have it sent back for somthing like a date or signature....any thoughts would be appreciated mate.

Thanks, James.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    NSW
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Dear James,

I had the same question, I rang the board last week and basically said I don't have anything from Uni, nor could I get my IST signed etc as I now live in Oz and they were done in the UK and about 7 years ago. Basically they said that was why they had brought in teh self-declaration form (pieces of evidence) form so we basically have to declare all the work we have personally done (it is int the application form bit think). That way they are basically trusting that you are telling the truth about the work you are supplying as being your own....Does that help?, made life alot easier for me,

Take care, Claire

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Claire,

That does seem to make sense yes. I take it all the statements and evidence you put together they will accept once that part of the form is signed...? Thankyou for letting me know. There is just lots of information to remember and then you leave it for a week or two and need to read over it again! Good luck with things. Are you looking at jobs already? I hear rumours that the job situtation is not very good in nz at the moment...dont know if this is true at all.

James

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Canberra, ACT, AUSTRALIA
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi James

Yes the job market for physios in NZ has taken a real dive. Have a look at my post on this thread. - Post #3

Geoff

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Ok now im a little confused. Reading over the guidance notes and what people have included in there applications im not sure how much evidence to include.

In the first section on each template ive listed modules from my course but ive also listed my transcript, placement form and a reflective statement also.

The second section ive referenced my CV, validation of work forms from my referees and an appraisal record from one of rotations

Then in the final section ive listed 5 pieces of evidence from various rotations relating to cardioresp.

Im a bit concerned as ive already included evidence in the first two sections of each template and then in the supporting evidence ive referenced 5 other pieces. In the first two sections on each template are we just supposed to list things we have done etc and not use pieces of evidence as they will be used in the third section as supporting evidence??? Kevin could you please shed any light on what your thoughts on this are...

James

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi James,

I'm in the same boat as you. Just in the middle of doing the NZ registration myself. I seem to have pieces of evidence in the first two sections as well as the final section. Not sure whether to leave it that way or put all the evidenc in the last past?

Are you writing much for each section? I seem to have 2 or 3 paragraphs of 4-5 lines in each section.

Paul

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    Oxford
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I decided to phone the NZ board lastnight and ask them what should be included. The answer they gave me was to pretty much just refer to the uni programme, modules, placements etc in the first section. Then refer to transcript, validation of work references and CV (essentially mandatory documents we need to include). Then in the third section is where the additional evidence should be. SO basically from that the majority of the evidence should be in the last section only. That doesnt seem to match up with what someone else has put into a previous thread on here but its what im going to go with otherwise im going to have lots more than 3-5 pieces of evidence for each competency.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

James

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

I would say good luck to anyone who has or thinks they can get NZ registration approved in 8 weeks. It takes 4 weeks (Minimum) to get through the initial checking process to ensure you have included all the required documents. Then they will send the application to the Approved Physio assessors (this takes a week) and this process will take another 4 weeks.... IF everything is in order and you do not need to supply anymore evidence you are looking at a minimum of 9 - 10 weeks for the assessment stages. This does not account for the time it takes for letters to be sent to you telling you what the latest update is on your application...... In addition this does not mean that you can practice, you then have to purchase an annual practicing cerificate which will take atleast another week. Hence from sending your application you are looking at minimum of 12 weeks IF everything is in order!!!!!

Anyway I have just had my application approved and am happy to help people along the way. I am willing to send you copies of the completed templates I supplied and an example of some of the reflections on practice which I supplied to the board. Just reply to this thread or contact me at [email protected] make sure you put PHYSIO BOARD HELP or something in the subject so I dont delete your e-mail.

Also dont want to put anyone off but the job situation here is very poor at the moment due to ACC taking physio away from the treatments that they provide so would recommend that you have a ob offer before you come here!!

Thanks and good luck

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kempo1981 For This Useful Post:

thabiso (08-06-2015)

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    india
    Member Type
    Physiotherapy Student
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

i want a guidance

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    hi guys ,

i am a physiotherapist from india i have passed out this year as a BPT

i have applied in auckland university of technology for pgd in musculo or rehab

1)i wanted to know is it better to apply for registration before going there or i should apply after complition of my pgd which one is better????

2) what are the current situation regarding jobs?? will i get job as a physio after complition of my pgd??

plz can anybody guide me for this ??

i am waiting for reply

[B][CENTER][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Never Let Student Die In Your Heart When It Dies You Want Remain A Doctor But You Will Be A Technician [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast