UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Summer Work in New Zealand?

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi

I'm just about to go into my 3rd year (out of 4) at QMU studying physiotherapy. I have been looking into the possibility of perhaps going over to New Zealand next summer to work for 2 month as a physio assistant or even a HCA but to be perfectly honest i'm stuck as to where to start going about planning this and if this is even possible???

My 3rd year is spent solely on placement (outpatients, stroke, women's health and respiratory) and this summer I have worked on the Nurse Bank as an Health Care assistant for 3 months in my local hospital, working on all sorts of wards (DME, stroke, orthopaedics - which I absolutely love!, surgical, medical etc so I have seen quite a variety).

So next summer, as I will have my placements behind me and become more competent as a physio (hopefully!) I am hoping that I can go further-a-field and do a summer job that requires more physio related skills (i.e working as a physio assistant).

And well i'm basically wondering how I would start going about this? Can I just get a student summer working visa or would I need to contact the NZ physio board to be able to work as a physio assistant? What is the likelyhood of actually getting a physio-assistant post for 2 month?

Any help is welcomed as i'm quite stuck as to what to do! Thank you in advance

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Summer Work in New Zealand?

Hi,
    lots of questions, so will try to answer some of them.
    Physio Assistant: you won't need any qualification for this, i.e. you don't need to contact the Physiotherapy Board. Same for Health Care Assistant. It is possible to get short term jobs as Physio Assistrant, especially in summer, as others will be on holiday ... that is... our summer, I mean. So the time from December to February. Is that what you understand as summer???
    Where to start: contact Immigration in regards to what kind of permit you need. You might be able to work on a working holiday visa, depending on your age.
    Working in New Zealand
    Recommend to check this website.
    For jobs, I would contact the Allied Health departments of the DHBs directly. Those short term jobs are hardly ever advertised. So, you could google the DHBs.
    District Health Boards Contents
    Hope this helps,
    regards,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi thanks for your reply! I will have to check those sites out.

I was thinking of going British summer time (when I am on holiday from uni) so like May/June/July/August, 2 of those months, ive not decided whick yet. I'm guessing it might be harded to find a short time post then as its not your big holiday out in New Zealand is it?

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    most definitely so.
    We have 2 weeks school holidays in winter(usually in July), and you might get lucky then, since a lot of Physio Assistants are working mums, but...
    Anyway, just try and don't give up.
    And if you can't get into Physio/ Allied Health, try the HCA option. I'm sure, there's always a shortage there. General hospitals (DHB and private ones like Ascot in Auckland), private hospitals and resthomes would have jobs. Otherwise, there is also schools who have special needs/ rehabilitation departments (e.g. Wilson Home Trust in Auckland). They might need assistants.
    Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Do you think it would be best writing to the health boards/hospitals explaining my position and asking them what would be available for me?

I'm really confused about visas, as to whether I would be allowed on a student working visa or not as this is not a requirement to my course, I just want some experience, so I would have to go down a working visa route? I guess I will just have to ring up the visa office in London or write to them to sort it all out! I'm glad i'm starting looking now as I have a year to plan this, which it seems I might need!!!

Even if I can only work as a physio assistant for a few weeks and then a HCA for the rest of my stay I wouldn't mind, just so long as i'm in NZ!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,
    sorry, don't know much about visas etc. But everyone who wants to work in NZ, needs a permit, ecen as a volunteer. Calling the NZ office in London sounds like the best idea to get information.
    Yes, I would contact the DHBs etc directly. First, however, you need to decide, where you want to work. Once you decided on the city, get into contact. Would wait for that though until the beginning of the year. Those jobs will come up spontaneously and they won't be able to promise you anything. Let them know that you are available and what your skills are.
    Cheers,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Physio88

I am looking to do the same thing as you. I have just finished my 1st year of Physio and am hoping to do 2 months of work experience in New Zealand at the end of my 2nd year, so around May/June 2009. I agree it's difficult where to start so i have emailed the NZSP (New Zealand Society of Physiotherapists) and the Physio Board to find out more info. At the momement i'm working along the lines of a physio assistant.
    Will let you know if i find out any more info.
    These posts have been very helpful to me and it's nice to know there's someone else looking to do the same thing.

Sam

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Working holiday visas will be the best option for you guys - these allow you to work for up to a year, and to be in the country for up to 23 months. They are cheap (though I can't remember how much) and much easier to get hold of than other work permits - I think you can just apply online. Go to United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

Good luck!

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Czech Republic
    Current Location
    Prague
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

my question is kind of similar to the one concerning "summer job as a PT in NZ". I've just finished my Master in PT few weeks ago in Prague (Czech Rep.) and have been working as a physiotherapist for almost a year in a private practice. I'd like to escape to NZ for few months and get some new experience in this profession. The thing is I'd like to go in January and stay only for 4 months. I know there's no way I could get registered in such a short time. Anyway according to my understanding from the previous conversations there is a chance to work as a PT without registration and only with a holiday visa? (I have still a student status- not finished another school yet). Should I start with contacting DHB asking for a job?

Marcela

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of New Zealand
    Current Location
    New Zealand
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

there is a chance to work as a PT without registration
    Sorry, but the short answer is: no.
    It is illegal in NZ to work as a Physio without registration (please refer to the website: The Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand > Registration), and no DHB will take you as an unregistered Physio.
    You can try and get a job as a Physio Student or Physio Assistant, though. However, as you can imagine, the job role is very different , as is the pay.
    The work permits etc. have got absolutely nothing to do with the professional registration Boards of any medical profession.
    Otherwise, you could sit your exams in Australia and then get to NZ, but I don't know whether that would be any faster.....
    Good luck,
    Fyzzio

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Czech Republic
    Current Location
    Prague
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    I knew it can't be so easy . anyway thank you for your answers. I might try few months later. best wishes, Marcela