UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Looking for fellow english speaking physiotherapists in France

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hi all ,

I am very new to this forum, so bear with me if this topic has already been covered. I did a quick search, but most of the threads on working in France are rather outdated and I'm not sure how active the members are. So here goes my story:

I am a South African qualified Physiotherapist who after 5 years of working in my field, moved to France. After another 5 years of being misguided by French bureaucracy, which felt like I was chasing my own tail, I'm now finally submitting my file to get my degree recognized. In the meantime I am busy completing a MSc in Sports therapy and rehab at university in the UK.

I am desperately seeking either British physiotherapists working in France (or who have worked in France), French physiotherapists who speak english whom I can discuss the work load and differences of working in France or basically any physiotherapist who is now working in France and have gone through this process. Most Physios in France that I know of are not that friendly or very open to discussion. ( I get the casual kindness, but no one I can really talk to).

Many thanks in advance for anyone willing to chat to me. If there are physios interested in working in France please feel free to contact me. I still don't know ALL the answers, but I know the long and windy road it takes to get there. I can speak French, though more intermediate than fluent, but then again right now, since I speak English to my husband and kids, I don't really practice enough.

Kind regards.
    G

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    Hong Kong
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Looking for fellow english speaking physiotherapists in France

Hi G

I am also a South African Physiotherapist and am currently working in Hong Kong but am looking at working in France as my family is French and they all reside there. I've heard that the application process is a mission but do you have any advice and do they accept all degrees from SA? (BSc Physio at UCT).

Looking forward to your reply.
    Kind Regards,
    Olivia

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Olivia,

I saw that I wrote this post back in 2014!! Time flies. I finally got the equivalent of my degree recognised here and I'm now working as a 'kinesitherapeute' in France. It was NOT an easy ride, but the gist of the matter is that you'll need a European degree to be accepted in their system. The French health system is complicated and very well protected. Either they'll make you repeat one or two years of their physiotherapy degree, but only after doing three paid exams (which in my opinion is not worth it), or you'll have to complete a European degree (which I did in doing a Masters in the UK......although now with the voting of the Brexit that might change things).
    It is an extremely complicated process which cost me A LOT of time and money. Feel free to contact me via private mail if you need more information.

Best wishes
    G

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Gisambert,
    I'm currently looking at moving to France from the UK. I work as an extended scope Physio and understand that i need to complete a language test to B2 standard and register with the professional body- how did you find working in France as a Physio? Would you recommend it?
    I'm looking at moving out there mainly for the lifestyle but understand that my professional position won't be as autonomous as it is in the UK.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of South Africa
    Current Location
    UK
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Sorry for the late response! I cleaned my inbox today and found this one, which I'm still to answer, so here goes. My best advice is to come here on a visit and try and spend some time with a physio in a practice. Hospital work is not much different to anywhere else, but private practice (kine liberale) is a HUUUUGE difference is you come from the anglosaxon system. treatments here are only half an hour, compared to the 45-1hr that I was used to. So doing proper assessments can be tricky. Also if you decide to work with someone, be very careful because there are physios here who sees 2-4 patients at the same time (yes, in half an hour). I could not and would not accept doing that so it took me a while before found a suitable practice. Also we do not have secretaries in the practice so all phonecalls and appointments and whatever you need to do is all up to you and if you are treating someone for half an hour...life can become tricky. But as I said before.....try and visit before deciding.

Hope this helps.
    Gisambert

Quote Originally Posted by Dinob12 View Post
    Hi Gisambert,
    I'm currently looking at moving to France from the UK. I work as an extended scope Physio and understand that i need to complete a language test to B2 standard and register with the professional body- how did you find working in France as a Physio? Would you recommend it?
    I'm looking at moving out there mainly for the lifestyle but understand that my professional position won't be as autonomous as it is in the UK.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    London
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Thanks for this Gisambert, it is very much appreciated.
    With regard the balance between work, financial reward, social time off etc- how did you find this?
    I'm not too worried about seeing patients in 30mins, I get 20mins in the UK for clinical assessments as it is. So going up to 30 would be great. I've heard about the 2 patients in 30mins though which sounds quite mad.
    Thanks again for your response.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United Kingdom
    Current Location
    United Kingdom
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Advertise your physiotherapy job on Physiobob's Job
    Hey!

I'm a physio from the UK thinking of moving to work in France. I have a BSc and MSc from UK uni. Would that make it easier for me to get through the process? Where do I start? Merci!