Flag of United States
    Current Location
    Australia
    Member Type
    General Public
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others
    Brief Medical History Overview

Age: 60, Male, Presenting Problem Since: The lastest SIJ injury, about one week, Symptom Behaviour: It has been easing over 5 days, but not back to 100% health yet., Symptoms Worse (24hr Behaviour): Maybe slight sorer in early morning upon awakening, Aggravating Factors:: Sitting for long periods of time. Twisting., Easing Factors:: Standing. Walking., Investigations: Medical investigations found no structural problem. Back surgeon said go away, there's nothing medical doctors can do for you (not that I wanted surgery!)., No Diabetes, No history of High Blood Pressure, No Medications, No Osteoporosis, No Hx of Cancer, No Unexplained Weight Loss, No Bowel/Bladder issues, Other Info: See History in my Post

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Hip, Gluteals - Posterior - Left

Puzzling Injury Prone + SIJ injury

Physical Agents In Rehabilitation
    Last Tuesday I had a one hour workout with my personal trainer watching. She and my remedial massage therapist were advising that my hip flexors were tight and I should stretch them. So I did 2 x 20 second per leg, hip flexor stretches (knee on ground, gentle-moderate level). This was the second time in a week. I also did some bicycle crunch exercises (right elbow to right knee, left elbow to left knee), the second time after about 10 days off of it. I had told my personal trainer her number one goal was to help me prevent injury, and we had to baby step everything new. This exercise was from 6:30am to 7:30am. At 5pm I was just standing, and suddenly my lower left lumbar back seized up. The next day I went to a physiotherapist. She said she could not detect by touch heat or inflammation in the SI Joint, but suspected my problem was tight, spasmy glutes and tight hamstrings pulling on my lower left lumbar area. She said she could not differentially diagnose it as SI Joint or as lower lumbar problem. She recommended moving my body ‘in a block’ (keeping knees together) during the acute phase. She recommended to ease the tightness in the glutes and hamstrings. I said that my body didn’t seem to react well to stretching or self-foamrolling. She recommended using tennis balls to release the glutes and hamstring, which I have done for five straight days without any adverse reaction. My greatest remaining soreness from 3 or 4 days after it started is from sitting too much. Walking and standing are fine.

EARLIER HISTORY.
    1) Two weeks ago I was lifting my head as part of the bicycle crunch, again under the supervision of my personal trainer, and my left neck got sore. My hypothesis is that I had been feeling the neck tighten the prior week, so I did some neck stretching, 3 x 30 seconds in the standard ways (left-right, ‘smell armpits’, forward-lightly backward) a day before, and I suspect that was too much, even though I only used the weight of my head and never pulled on my head.

2) The day after the neck soreness, I felt some flashes of what I thought was sciatic pain on the left side. It was in the left lower glute and hamstring. It was like a lightning strike, three times. I had never felt anything like that before. I went to a remedial massage therapist the next day. Upon examination he said that my glutes were tight and spasmy, and he said the cause of the sciatic like pain was probably piriformis syndrome. Overall, he believes my body core problems are due to poor posture of the forward rotated hips type, and he recommended the hip flexor stretch, and long adductor stretch (which would also get some hip flexor), and quad foamrolling to loosen the rectus femoris quad.

3) One month ago, about 3 hours after a routine 25 minute morning jog, my right lower hamstring in the semitendinosus or semimembranosus area seized up. My hypothesis is this stemmed from the introduction of more hamstring stretching including for the first time, straight knee hamstring stretching. In sum, my fitness is going backwards, due to repeated injury, from non-obvious causes (i.e., not acute injury but injury arising from tightness or RSI or stretching).

FIVE YEARS AGO HISTORY. Getting up from a chair, felt a sudden acute pain in lower left lumbar area. Had all the examinations, including X-ray, and was labelled Chronic Non-Specific Low Back Pain. Eventually it healed up to 98% health, but never fully recovered to 100% health. My exercise physiologist of last year thought it was left SI joint syndrome, which he diagnosed by digging his hand under my abdominal muscles to feel the SI joint. I had not re-injured my lower left lumbar area for the four years since it healed, until now.

Overall, the last month has been puzzling to me, my personal trainer, one physiotherapist, and one remedial massage therapist. I am looking for comments as to 1) DIAGNOSIS, and 2) TREATMENT. My hypothesis is that my general tightness combined with hypersensitivity to stretching means I should only do gentle stretches (2 x 20 seconds very gentle). Also, for the next month, my hypothesis is to go back to easy abdominal exercise, such as prone hold, side holds, and leg holds (Abdominal Strengthening Exercises - Core Exercises - Abdominal Exercises - PhysioAdvisor) starting in two days (one week after the re-injury of the lower left lumbar area) and starting those with baby steps.

Happy to answer any questions. Would also welcome to be pointed to websites that would have relevant information.

Basic background: 60 year old male, desk job, no known medical conditions, taking no medicines, had for some years a modest fitness program of alternating exercise one day with walking or jogging the next day.

Thanks for reading this.

Frank