Thanks given to others

Major problem / Symptomatic Areas

Knee - Posterior - Left

Knee - Posterior - Right

Smile Knee Pain

Taping
    Hello Guys

I was wondering if someone can help me?

I experience a little knee pain, when trying to bend until I am almost on the ground, but doing anything else to test, I feel fine, and I am concern if this knee pain is coming from my Lower Back.

Is there any simple tests I can do to see if its coming from
    my lower back?

At the moment, I am doing the the below exercises, is any of the below exercises causing any knee pain?

(Lower Back Arch Extenstion)
    (Supine Bridge)
    (Planks)
    (Spinal Twist)
    (Legs Extension by raising each leg up)
    (Legs retracting)

Kind Regards

Gayan

Similar Threads:

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Re: Knee Pain

Hello,

Given the exercises you have mentioned, it is unlikely for your knee pain to be related to them.

Having said that, you haven't given much information pertaining to the onset and nature of your pain, and any underlying health issues you may be suffering from, like,
    • Have you suffered from any sort of previous trauma to the affected part?
    • How long has this pain been persisting?
    • Is there any swelling / redness / restricted range of motion?
    • What is the nature of the pain, is it sharp shooting, stretch like, dull aching?
    • Any other health issues you suffer from?
    • Have you tried any form of pain relief techniques (hot / cold packs) at home?
    • What is your occupation? (it could be an occupational hazard)

Above is just some basic info that would help in diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayan@1984 View Post
    Hello Guys

I was wondering if someone can help me?

I experience a little knee pain, when trying to bend until I am almost on the ground, but doing anything else to test, I feel fine, and I am concern if this knee pain is coming from my Lower Back.

Is there any simple tests I can do to see if its coming from
    my lower back?

At the moment, I am doing the the below exercises, is any of the below exercises causing any knee pain?

(Lower Back Arch Extenstion)
    (Supine Bridge)
    (Planks)
    (Spinal Twist)
    (Legs Extension by raising each leg up)
    (Legs retracting)

Kind Regards

Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the in convenience I have caused by not mentioning anything

The nature of the PAIN is, just a bit of uncomfortable PAIN when I have fully bent my knees until
    I can touch the ground, the pain is coming from the front Knee Cap, and just around the back where the bent mechanism is

My Left Knee and leg feels very heavy when trying to take a maximum bent, but bending my right knee, feels more smooth

I have a history of Lower Back Pain, then few years later, I got Right Heel Pain, which was caused by my Lower Back,
    my Right Heel Pain is better now, my Lower Back Pain is better too, but I still feel my Lower Back is not 100% OK

I had this Knee Pain since 11th September 2020

I don't see any swelling / redness / restricted range of motion

The nature of the pain, maybe just PAIN, only when I fully bend my knees to the maximum, until I can touch the ground, because I bend my knees to pick up things and etc, so that I don't hurt my back

There is no other health issues I suffer from, I am 100% healthy, but I am a bit over weight, but been a bit over weight for a very long time

My occupation is IT, I am working from home, I do work sitting and standing, to avoid
    Back pain due to long sitting times

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hii,

Sorry for the late reply.. was a bit busy.

Anyway,
    From what I understand in your description is that, your discomfort is most likely muscular related.
    I would like to recommend a couple of exercises in addition to your existing ones and advise you to begin application of any kind of hot packs on the affected areas for a duration of 20 mins each knee 1-2 times a day for 5-7 days.

Exercises:
    1) Knee Press - in a supine / long sitting position, place a towel roll (3-4 inches in thickness) under both knees and apply a downward pressure with your knees; 5- 10 sec hold x 10 reps

2) Knee Extension - Sit on a chair or high table and extend your knees (one leg at a time) trying to avoid back tilting backwards; 5- 10 sec hold x 10 reps
    (you can begin with a 5 sec hold and gradually increase the duration to 10 in both exercises when you start noticing improvement in pain)

There is one more question I'd like to ask you, (Legs Extension by raising each leg up) this is one of the exercise you mentioned that you currently perform, do you feel any pain or stretch in the back of your thigh / low back whilst doing this?

Hope this helps.. do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayan@1984 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the in convenience I have caused by not mentioning anything

The nature of the PAIN is, just a bit of uncomfortable PAIN when I have fully bent my knees until
    I can touch the ground, the pain is coming from the front Knee Cap, and just around the back where the bent mechanism is

My Left Knee and leg feels very heavy when trying to take a maximum bent, but bending my right knee, feels more smooth

I have a history of Lower Back Pain, then few years later, I got Right Heel Pain, which was caused by my Lower Back,
    my Right Heel Pain is better now, my Lower Back Pain is better too, but I still feel my Lower Back is not 100% OK

I had this Knee Pain since 11th September 2020

I don't see any swelling / redness / restricted range of motion

The nature of the pain, maybe just PAIN, only when I fully bend my knees to the maximum, until I can touch the ground, because I bend my knees to pick up things and etc, so that I don't hurt my back

There is no other health issues I suffer from, I am 100% healthy, but I am a bit over weight, but been a bit over weight for a very long time

My occupation is IT, I am working from home, I do work sitting and standing, to avoid

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to me and helping me, I really appreciate you helping me

I will try the exercises you gave me, they look very helpful to me

And referring to your question (Legs Extension by raising each leg up) this is one of the exercise you mentioned that you currently perform)
    I do not feel any pain, only a week ago, when raising my right leg, I felt a very small mild pain for only 2 seconds, after I have fully extended my right leg, I felt no pain

At the moment, my left leg, does not feel smooth when raising my left leg, and kind of feels very heavy when raising my left leg, but there is no kind of pain, it feels more like, does not have 100% flexibility, its kind of hard explaining, but I hope you understand what I am saying

My Right leg seems to feel better and smoother than my left leg, my right leg seemed to be a little bit better than my left leg, but still bending all the way
    down until I can touch the floor with my hands, this position is still hard, since I get pain

If you want to know more information, please do not hesitate to ask

Please stay safe and well

Kind Regards

Gayan

- - - Updated - - -

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hii Gayan,

Thank you for your kind words.. much appreciated

Well, coming back to your knee issues.. It looks like you have a bit of tightness in your left leg, which could be the reason of heaviness or lack of flexibility as you claim.
    Do you have a tendency of folding or keeping your left leg bent from the knee / hip more than the right ?? (you would need to contemplate over this a little, coz sometimes people develop a habit of certain postures in their daily routine without realising)
    In case you do, that is one aspect we can work on a few days later once there is a decent amount of improvement in your current pain.

(Legs Extension by raising each leg up) - regarding this exercise, please make one slight change while performing this i.e. whilst raising each leg, only raise it to the point that doesn't give you any kind of discomfort at low- back level whatsoever. The stretch effect you feel at the back of the thigh / calf is fine but there should be no pain in the back.

Do get back to me after about 5-6 days to discuss your condition.

Regards,
    Bellona.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

No worries, I will let you know how I go

Referring to (Do you have a tendency of folding or keeping your left leg bent from the knee / hip more than the right?), yes, I do find it hard to keep it bent, in fact, I don't think I can go all the way to keep my left knee bent, I hope I understood your question properly, if not, please let me know

And thanks again for your kindness and caring, this means a lot to me

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Quote Originally Posted by bello19 View Post
    Hii Gayan,

Thank you for your kind words.. much appreciated

Well, coming back to your knee issues.. It looks like you have a bit of tightness in your left leg, which could be the reason of heaviness or lack of flexibility as you claim.
    Do you have a tendency of folding or keeping your left leg bent from the knee / hip more than the right ?? (you would need to contemplate over this a little, coz sometimes people develop a habit of certain postures in their daily routine without realising)
    In case you do, that is one aspect we can work on a few days later once there is a decent amount of improvement in your current pain.

(Legs Extension by raising each leg up) - regarding this exercise, please make one slight change while performing this i.e. whilst raising each leg, only raise it to the point that doesn't give you any kind of discomfort at low- back level whatsoever. The stretch effect you feel at the back of the thigh / calf is fine but there should be no pain in the back.

Do get back to me after about 5-6 days to discuss your condition.

Regards,
    Bellona.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Gayan,

Thank you very much once again for your appreciation .

Referring to (Do you have a tendency of folding or keeping your left leg bent from the knee / hip more than the right?), yes, I do find it hard to keep it bent, in fact, I don't think I can go all the way to keep my left knee bent.
    What I actually meant by that question was, do you keep your left knee / hip bent more often than the right?
    Nonetheless, the answer you provided is also worthy of information.

I do hope you get better in the coming days and we can pick up from there.

Take care and stay safe..

Regards,
    Bellona

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona ,

Thanks for your kindness and caring, and I am keeping safe, I hope you are too

Regarding your question (
    do you keep your left knee / hip bent more often than the right?), I do not keep left knee / hip bent more often than the right

I am doing the exercises you have told me, and I can see some improvements, but I still cannot bent all the way to the ground, until I can touch the floor

Is it necessary to see a Physio for some physical treatment?, or should I just wait for few weeks and see how I go?

Please take care and stay safe

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello Gayan,

I am keeping well and safe too, Thank you for asking ☺.

I'm glad to know you can see improvements, could you please let me know what exactly are the improvements you feel (pain, flexibility, etc.)?

Since the exercises I asked you to perform were basic ones, the intention of those were to improve your basic knee muscles strength. We can work on further exercises depending on your current condition.

You take care too and keep well.

Kind Regards
    Bellona 😊

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

I am glad to hear you are keeping well and safe

Improvements I am seen are, I can bend with my knees further close to the ground, without PAIN, I can kneel using the bottom part below my knees, also, when getting up from the floor, I feel smoother, also doing the Supine Bridge where I lift my back area, there is no more discomforts or pain in my left leg. I do supine bridge as a personal interest, this is not something you gave me

I am just wondering for my interest, are you a physiotherapist?

You too, take care, and keep well

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Gayan,

The improvements you've described are remarkable, given the short span you've been doing the exercises. I'd like to add 2 more exercises for you.

1) In a crook lying position, place a pillow between your knees and press it for 5-10 secs × 10 reps. (Link below for reference)
    Hooklying Hip Adduction Isometrics - YouTube

2) In crook lying, tie your thighs together with a belt / cloth and attempt to open legs for 5-10 secs × 10 reps. (Link below for reference)
    Isometric Hip Abduction in Hooklying - Ask Doctor Jo - YouTube

As for your question (I am just wondering for my interest, are you a physiotherapist?), Yes I am 🙂.

Any doubts in the above then do let me know.

Regards,
    Bellona.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

Thank you so much for your help again, I really appreciate you helping me with my knee pain

I will try the new 2 exercises you gave me, and I will let you know how I go

When I get my knee pain resolved, which I can already see its improving, will it possible to get some advice on how to keep my lower back healthy and strengthened?, as I had some lower back pain in the past, which started back in 2010 due to sitting too long on the computer. Will it be possible to contact you directly from this forum for advice for other topics?

Please take care and stay safe

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Gayan,

You're most welcome 😊.

Sure, we can work on your back problem later.. msg me when the knee gets better.

I'd like to add just one thing, do not discontinue the first 2 exercises, add the new ones with them and perform all 4 exercises for the knees.

You too take care and stay safe ☺

Regards,
    Bellona.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona ,

No worries, I will do all the 4 exercises and let you know, thank you again for helping me

you too, take care and stay

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Smile Re: Knee Pain

Hi Bellona,

Sorry for getting back to you late, as u told me to get back to u in about 5 to 6 days.

My Knees are recovering well, but I am still un able to bend all the way down on my knees until I am able to touch the ground

I am still doing the exercises u told me to do, my knees were recovering faster in the past few weeks, but for the remaining
    amount to go, the recovering process is a bit slower than usual, I hope this is normal

I hope u r going well and staying safe

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hey Gayan ,

Nice to hear from you again. And yes, I am keeping safe and well... hope you are too.

Could you tell me on a scale of 10, how much pain do you still feel when you attempt to touch the ground?
    And, how far are you from the ground in the pain free range?

The recovery pace is nothing to worry, the exercises I've given you were non-weight bearing, so they will only help you to a limit. We can now begin with a weight bearing exercise called 'mini-squats'.
    I've attached 2 links below.. kindly refer to them and add this 1 exercise to your routine. The exercise is same in both the links, one is with wall support and the other is without. If the without wall support one is painful or difficult for you to perform then you can begin the exercise with wall support, and progress to without support when the pain reduces.

Squat against wall - YouTube (with wall support)
    Mini Squat- Beacon PT Exercises - YouTube (without wall support)

Do let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards,
    Bellona.

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona ,

I am keeping well and going well too, and its good to hear from u again too

Scale out of 10, its a bit difficult to say, its either 6 out of 10, or 7 out of 10, as far as I know, the pain comes after 1 to 2 seconds when I have fully gone into a full bend mode to touch the ground, but at least its better than previous weeks

I will do the exercises u told me to do, and let u know in a bout few days or weeks, after giving some times for the exercises to work

Also 1 more question, all the exercises u have given me so far, can I do the exercises u have given me so far, as daily exercises, even after my knees has fully 100% healed?

Stay safe and well

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello Gayan ,

You can continue these exercises as part of your routine even after the pain goes away, but at that time keep the frequency of the exercises to one time per day as opposed to two times per day as you perform now.

I forgot to mention 1 thing about the mini-squats in my previous reply... as you squat down, please see to it that you do not have any pain whilst squatting, give it a 5-10 sec hold x 10 reps. i.e. perform the exercise in a pain free range and as days go by you should be able to squat lower than what you first began.

Regards,
    Bellona

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

No worries, I will do what you told me to do with squats, and let u know in a few days or in a bout couple of weeks, after giving some time for the
    exercises to work

Thanks again, and stay safe and well

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

I hope you are keeping well and safe

I am Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to let you know that my knees are recovering well

But I wanted to ask you something to confirm, I have a chronic lower back pain since 2010,
    and because of my lower back pain, I had right heel pain back in 2016, and my right heel
    pain recovered 100% by around the end of 2018 after doing some lower back arch extension,
    lower back pain is ok now, but still have mild lower back pain time to time

Is there any chance that my knee pain is coming from my lower back?

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of India
    Current Location
    Mumbai
    Member Type
    Physiotherapist
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hello Gayan,

I am doing very well, thank you... hope you are doing good as well.

My apologies for the late reply, was pre-occupied with a lot of work at my end.

Can you describe your knee improvements or what drawbacks you currently face wrt the knee?

Is there any chance that my knee pain is coming from my lower back? - that's difficult to say without a physical examination, but since it's an old pain there may be slight chances.

Regards,
    Bellona

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Australia
    Current Location
    Melbourne
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Hi Bellona,

It's good to hear from you again

Sorry for any convenience caused

In the beginning, my knees were healing well up to 80%, and then I went backwards a little, not sure why, maybe its something I have done again,
    and now, healing is very slow

I normally sleep on a Japanese tatami like sleeping mattress on the floor, because I find that my lower back pain improves sleeping on harder surfaces
    than the bed soft mattress, and when before getting up after sleeping on the floor each morning, I have to use my knees a little bit to get up, but thereis no pain when I put some weight on my knees, before getting up

Do you have any concerns of me sleeping on the floor, regarding my knee pain?

My knee pain comes from the front area, and from the back of my knees

Do you have a like a facebook page you use to talk to people with injuries?, were I can talk to you?, maybe this might be
    a bit easy for you to talk to me

Stay safe and well, and take care

Kind Regards
    Gayan

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of United States
    Current Location
    USA
    Member Type
    Social Worker
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

At the moment, my left leg, does not feel smooth when raising my left leg, and kind of feels very heavy when raising my left leg, but there is no kind of pain, it feels more like, does not have 100% flexibility, its kind of hard explaining, but I hope you understand what I am saying

My Right leg seems to feel better and smoother than my left leg, my right leg seemed to be a little bit better than my left leg, but still bending all the way
    down until I can touch the floor with my hands, this position is still hard, since I get pain
    If you want to know more information, please do not hesitate to ask

-------------------
    Rancho Electrical

Forum Member Array
    Country
    Flag of Canada
    Current Location
    Canada
    Member Type
    Other
    View Full Profile
    Thanks given to others

Must have Kinesiology Taping DVD
    Working in front of a computer can cause muscle stiffness and a decrease in blood circulation. It can also cause back, neck, and shoulder pain, headaches, eyestrain, and overuse injuries to the arm and hand. Computer-related injuries can be avoided by using appropriate office furniture, improving your posture, and developing good working habits. Several physiotherapists recommend taking regular breaks and stretching in between tasks. This improves blood flow to your muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments, which reduces stiffness and pain. It is always recommended to see a physiotherapist because they can give you advice, correct your posture, and recommend exercises for your well-being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast